Chapter Thirty-Four

The morning woke Sophie up.

Yes, the morning.

The sun was shining outside and filled Sophie's bedroom with bright yellow light, and the birds were singing to each other and filled Sophie's bedroom with a gorgeous, sweet makeshift alarm, and the trees were waving in the breeze, willing Sophie to wake up.

Sophie woke up, yawned and sat up in bed, still half-asleep as she groaned and stretched.

That is, until she realized that today was the day.

She was getting married today.

She bolted up. "Today I will not make a fool of myself," Sophie muttered to herself as a morning mantra as she went through her morning routines and brushed her teeth and hair and took a quick shower. "I will not trip over my dress or break a heel and force Fitz to have to catch me in front of everybody at the wedding. I will not be clumsy or a klutz and I will try my best to make this day run smoothly and perfectly with no mistakes."

After about ten minutes of repeating this inner speech, Sophie finally went to go wake up Edaline and Grady. She didn't have to though, as it turned out that they were wide awake and were as frantic as if it was their own wedding day all over again.

"Sophie! Good morning! Did you get enough sleep?" Edaline fretted, chewing her nails. Grady ran his hand through his hair ten times before calming himself down and taking a deep breath.

"Yes, Mom," said Sophie. She had gotten too much sleep and she felt oddly rejuvenated. She had never slept that much in her life.

"Did you brush your teeth? And your hair?" Edaline asked, her own hair standing up everywhere.

"Yes, Mom," repeated Sophie.

"Did you get your dress ready and did you start with your makeup?" Edaline asked next. It was like she had her own inner checklist and was mentally ticking things off. Whatever made her happy, Sophie thought.

"Yes, Mom," Sophie said again. "Stop fretting. I'm fine. Everything is ready. I just need Biana to get here so she can help me with my hair, my makeup, my dress, and basically everything else."

Right as Sophie said that, the doorbell rang. "That must be her now," said Sophie, who then ran down the stairs and opened the door, leaving Edaline muttering to herself about who knows what.

"Good morning, Sophie!" said Biana. "Are you ready?" She went into a list that was similar to Edaline's and Sophie nodded boredly. She was sick of all this planning.

"Okay, okay, let's go upstairs," said Sophie after Biana couldn't think of anything else to make sure of.

"Let's do the dress first," said Biana. "I think. Or actually maybe we should do makeup?"

"Don't I have to eat breakfast?" Sophie asked. Her stomach growled in hunger.

"You haven't already? There's one thing I forgot. Who knows what else I'll forget today?" asked Biana. She stared down at her list and added a couple of other things.

"Biana, breathe. It's okay," Sophie said. She felt strangely calm.

Sophie led the way into the kitchen and got out some food, still in her pajamas.

"Sophie..." said Biana.

"Yeah?"

"I— you know what? Never mind, it's okay. I'll tell you later," Biana said, putting a smile on her face and moving to the counter.

"Tell me what?" Sophie pressed.

"I don't want to ruin your wedding day. I'll tell you later," Biana repeated firmly. Sophie dropped the subject, not understanding why Biana had decided to bring something up and then drop it again. She knew she should press further but she couldn't let anything cloud her happy mindset for today.