Chapter Nine

Sophie knew that if she got caught, she would be punished. This was important. Sneaking into someone's mind against their will was illegal in the elven world. She would definitely have a really bad punishment as it would be her third offense and she already knew about the law. But she had to do it. Her Cognate was lying to her, according to Biana, so Sophie needed to figure out exactly what he was hiding from her and why. And if he wasn't going to tell her, there was only one way to do that. Even if that one way was illegal.

Sophie didn't really have a plan. She had no idea when or where she was going to literally steal someone's thoughts. She didn't know if it would be any time in the near future. Maybe it was going to be tomorrow, maybe it would be next month. Who knew? But Sophie knew that she had to do it fast and efficiently when she made up her mind to do it. She couldn't get sidetracked with random stuff that might be floating around in Fitz's mind.

Fitz's mind. What was she thinking? She couldn't do that to her Cognate. Betray him, lose his trust. No, she couldn't. She shook her head at how stupid she was being.

But...

She had to! He was hiding something from her and she had to know what it was. Cognates just don't do that. No secrets. Everything out in the open. That was the literal point.

What should she do?

Should she sneak into Fitz's mind, break the law, and lose his trust and confidence in her if she got caught?

Should she let it go with the knowledge that he was hiding something important from her even though they were supposed to be Cognates? Cognates were supposed to share everything with each other and the fact that they weren't just proved that Fitz might not be worthy of Sophie's trust.

Well, she didn't know if what he was hiding was important. She had a feeling it was, but she couldn't know for sure.

Why couldn't she just ask him? They weren't supposed to be afraid of each other. Just ask!

No. She couldn't. What an embarrassing conversation.

Hey, Fitz. Your sister told me that you were hiding something from me. Any chance that you could tell me what it is? I mean, because we're Cognates? And friends?

No, that would just end her friendship with Fitz. If it hadn't already.

She was techinically "dating" his best friend.

Would he still be friends with her?

Probably not.

Sophie took a deep breath and walked downstairs. She needed to be with her friends on her birthday. It was her special day. Nothing could ruin it, right? She was only going to be sixteen once.

Everyone looked at Sophie. Biana was still upstairs by the looks of it. Keefe grinned at Sophie and tried to signal at her, but Sophie ignored him. Fitz was playing cards with Tam but was not having much fun by the looks on both of their faces. Dex was napping on the couch. Linh was walking around the room aimlessly, testing her abilities. Sophie sighed. "Guys, let's go do something!"

Fitz looked at Sophie. "Like what?" He didn't say it unkindly, and he added a small smile. Did that mean they were still friends? Probably not.

Sophie looked around. "Truth or dare?"

As soon as it was out of her mouth, she realized she had made a horrible mistake. What monster had she just unleashed? She groaned inwardly. Worst game to ever choose. With Keefe, this game was going to be terrible. But she had said the first thing that had popped into her mind.

Everyone looked at Sophie. "What's truth or dare?" Keefe asked.

Sophie sighed. She had forgotten that they didn't know what truth or dare was. She said, "It's a human thing. We don't have to play."

"No explain it!" Keefe said.

Sophie sighed. This was going to be just great. "Well, you sit in a circle generally. Then you pick a person and you say truth or dare. Then that person picks one. Truths are when you ask a question and that person has to answer truthfully. We can tell if you're lying since we have telepaths. I mean, in this game, you have permission to read someone's mind if they picked truth." Sophie knew that this was not a part of the game, but she was determined to read Fitz's mind at some point and why not wrap it into an unfamiliar game? She felt bad but she ignored the feeling.

"If you pick dare, then you have to do one of the dares that the person gives you. It just can't be life-threatening." Knowing Keefe, Sophie made sure to add that part in.

Everyone looked as if they wanted to play. Dex sat down on the carpet, awake from his nap, looking refreshed. "Ok, let's play. Sounds fun to me!" Everyone joined Dex in the circle. Sophie said,

"Ok, who wants to go first?"

Dex looked at Sophie. "You should go first. It's your birthday."

Sophie smiled. "Ok. I choose someone..." She looked around the circle. "Linh. Truth or dare?"

Linh answered, "Truth."

Sophie thought for a while. "Ok, Linh, what is your most embarrassing moment in life?"

Linh sighed. "Fine. I was at Atlantis. I wasn't supposed to be there, but I was looking for my mom. Then I saw a brunette lady with the same dress as my mom, so I ran over there, but guess what? I said, 'Mom' really loudly. The lady didn't turn around, so I ran over and tugged on her dress. Then she turned around. It wasn't my mother. Not at all. I ran away so fast, I feel as if I could have won in the track and field race that day. Which I lost the day before."

Sophie smiled. "That's sad, but that's happened to everyone, right?"

Everyone nodded except for Fitz. Dex mumbled under his breath, "Of course it hasn't happened to Wonderboy."

Sophie stared at Dex. What had happened? Dex and Fitz were supposed to be friends now! Sophie disregarded it, choosing to think about it later. "Linh, choose someone."

Linh picked Keefe. Stupid idea. "Truth or dare?"

Keefe smiled. "Of course the dare."

Linh sighed. "Keefe, go upstairs to the bathroom. Grab some hairspray. Then come back down, style someone's hair of your choice any way you want, and then spray it."

Keefe smirked. "Get ready to have the biggest makeover of your life, Foster!" Of course, he picked Sophie. Ugh.

Keefe ran upstairs and came back with some hairspray. "I literally had to bash the door down! Biana is still up there. What's she doing, anyway?"

Sophie sighed. "Who knows? Now come on and get this over with!"

Keefe proceeded to haphazardly braid Sophie's hair and then twist it up into a messy bun and wrapped the braid around it. It looked strange, but it actually wasn't that bad. Sophie kind of liked it. Not that she would ever say that out loud...

Keefe smirked. "I see that you like it?"

Of course. Empaths. Sophie blushed. "It isn't that bad."

Keefe sighed. "Of course not. Hair can't look bad when you're around me. Just look at mine." He ruffled it. "Amazing, is it not?"

Sophie nodded. She was "dating" this guy, right? She had to play along.

Fitz sighed for no reason.

Ok, long chapter today. Finishing truth or dare in the next chapter! Thanks for reading and please leave a nice review!