Chapter Thirty-Six

"Where are we going?" Sophie whined, wheedling on her husband who refused to tell her for the second time where they were headed.

"Sophie, you need to learn a part of human life: patience. Patience is a virtue. I've said it before and I have a feeling I will be saying it for the rest of my life when I'm around you. Please be patient and you'll be rewarded," smiled Fitz. Sophie sighed and sat back in her plane seat, trying to get comfortable in her anxious curiosity.

Finally, about forever later, they finally got off of the plane. Sophie still had no idea where they were until she heard a monotone announcement over the airport loudspeaker:

"Welcome to Wellington, New Zealand."

Sophie glanced at Fitz who looked straight ahead, his lips twitching as he fought to keep a smile off his face. "Fitz! We're in New Zealand!?"

"Yup. I already booked hotels and researched some places to go and everything." Fitz looked at Sophie and smiled his movie-star smile. Sophie tiptoed onto the tips of her toes and kissed him.

He pulled away, rolling his eyes and saying, "Sophie, we need to get to the hotel! I can't do it if you keep distracting me at every single destination that we go to." Sophie sighed but linked her arm through Fitz's and said, "Onward!" something she had never said before. "Where is this hotel anyway?" Sophie asked, looking around the airport to see where most of the people were heading to try to gain some semblance of bearings.

Fitz consulted his papers. "It's called ibis Wellington and apparently it's the number one hotel in New Zealand so... I figured we might as well test the theory."

They took a taxi to the hotel and got unpacked. It was midday so they decided to go get some lunch. They went to a small restaurant/cafe type place called The Hangar, which turned out to be more of a coffee shop. Sophie had never had coffee before, seeing as the elves didn't have it and she hadn't been allowed to have it in the human world at twelve years old or younger, but Fitz had had some when he was looking for her and opted to get tea instead. Sophie found she actually liked coffee and drank two cups.

Next they visited The Museum of New Zealand and learned a lot about the culture. Sophie and Fitz spent hours in there, trying to absorb everything and see everything, and by the time they got back out, it was almost dark and they were ready for dinner. They went to Logan Brown for dinner and Sophie loved it. She had a King Salmon with artichoke and other herbs and Toffee Milk Chocolate ice cream. She also had her first cup of wine, so maybe that was why it was the highlight of the day... Sophie had more fun than she had ever had in her life.

That night, Sophie felt happy. She couldn't believe how lucky she had gotten with her choice of husbands. She turned towards Fitz who was lying on his back on the bed, staring at the ceiling with a slight smile on his face.

"What are you thinking about?" she asked quietly, not wanting to break the peacefulness of the night.

"I'm thinking about how happy I am to be here with my dream girl of six years or so. I love you, Sophie, and I really do hope you know that." He turned to her and smiled.

"I know. I love you, too, Fitz. Despite everything we've been through, despite... just everything, I will always love you. I mean, sure, we've had really hard times in the past, including when you punched me and—"

"I said I was sorry!" Fitz exclaiming, nudging Sophie's side.

"Yeah, well, it still hurt," Sophie said, though she was smiling, showing her obvious forgiveness.

He blew out a breath. "Sophie, I'm sorry. I love you. Only you. And I never meant anything bad that I may have ever said to you."

"I know that, Fitz." She turned to her side and tried to sleep.