Chapter Twenty-Five

Biana's groan was almost earth-shattering. Sophie instinctively covered her ears and groaned a bit quieter in response.

"Geez, Biana, what's with the groan?" Sophie mumbled. She had just woken up to the sound of Biana's complaints and she thrust a pillow over her head, trying to drown out the noise.

Biana grabbed the pillow from Sophie and smacked her with it. "You know! SCHOOL?? There's such a thing known as school, which is basically a torture device for elves to do basically nothing and get detention. Yeah, and you know what? We are being forced back to that very same torture device tomorrow," Biana said dramatically, gesticulating eagerly. "Yeah, so I can groan, okay? I have the right! I just want one more week of summer!"

Sophie rolled over on her bed. "Biana, school isn't really that bad." She rolled back over.

"You have to be insane to say that," Biana said, rolling her eyes.

Sophie thought about it a bit. "You're right. I am insane," she admitted.

"We know. Or I know," Biana said, grinning.

Sophie whacked her with an eyelash curler that Biana had brought along for their sleepover.

"Okay, school can't be that bad. What's so bad about it? Classes... detention... empty lunch tables... being alone... friends??? Nah, not really."

"Hey!" Biana said.

"Just kidding," Sophie grinned. "Anyways, we are both forgetting something very important about school.."

"BOYS," they both said together. They giggled to each other.

Sophie sighed after a moment. "Even boys don't make school any better. Not with all of the Matchmaker things going on. And besides, I can see my supposed "crush" any day I like. Or I used to be able to. I don't even know where I stand in Fitz's mind anymore." Biana smiled sympathetically.

"I could always just ask him. You know he is my brother and we, sadly, live in the same house..." Biana trailed off, waiting for Sophie's answer.

"That would be so awkward and weird," Sophie argued. "Please just don't. I don't really know anymore. I feel as if he only wants to be matched with me so that Keefe won't and he'll win. Whatever game that we are playing."

"That is so not true. I know my own brother better than you, and that's saying something, given all of your secret sharing and telepathy tricks. He likes you, Sophie. He's just using Linh to try to make you jealous. Which has been working, it seems," Biana said, looking at her friend knowingly.

Sophie scoffed. "Are you kidding me? I'm not jealous! I'm glad he's moved on to other... girls... that aren't... me. Nope, you're right again. I hate it." Sophie said, sighing and matching Biana's earlier groan. "Why does life have to be so hard?"

"I don't know! I've asked myself the same question a million times and I've gotten negative numerical answers. So yeah. Don't ask me." Biana crossed her arms. "Life just sucks sometimes. But there are the good times too, and that's what we have to live for." She shook her head. "I sound so cheesy."

"You really do," Sophie answered. Her response was a smack on the head with her pillow for the second time.

The next day, Sophie woke up early. She showered quickly and spent about thirty minutes longer than usual picking out an outfit. She finally decided on a really tight blouse that made her look more grown-up, skinny tarpas, or "jeans" in the human world, and a purple cape. She added some faint bluse (blush), marcar (mascara), and lipstick, which was just called lipstick, and tied her hair up into a messy but also pretty bun. Sophie was proud of her outfit. The first day of school was the worst day of choosing clothes because it's your chance to show everyone how you've "glowed-up" over the summer.