Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Sophie!" Biana waved the girl over. "Come sit over here!" Sophie turned around and joined the table, which consisted of Biana, Dex, Linh, and Tam. "We moved here now because the populars took our table," Biana said to Sophie, rolling her eyes.

"Cool." Sophie looked around. "Where's Keefe?"

"He died," Tam said morosely.

"Tam!" Linh shot her twin a look. "Sophie, he's not dead. But he got detention. On the first day of school. He blew something up in whatever his first class was. I heard rumors."

"Oh. Well..." Sophie trailed off, unsure how to respond to that.

"I know, how stupid can he be?" Biana giggled.

"Um. Well. I got detention too. For the rest of the week. Starting tomorrow," Sophie said, looking down and blushing.

"What? You? Sophie Elizabeth Foster? The Sophie Foster? What did you do?" Biana shrieked.

"Nothing! I didn't do anything wrong. It was all Fitz's fault!" Sophie exclaimed defensively.

"Fitz? How is he in your class? Wait... is it Astronomy. Or the Universe? Or whatever. He failed last year..." Biana asked. Sophie nodded. "Ah, that explains it."

"So you know how Foxfire has started to do actual classes now instead of one-on-one sessions? Well, Professor Farrius clearly has no idea what to do with so many people at once so he partnered us up and gave us a test. Anyways, he tried to cheat on the test and then we got into this big fight and the teacher got mad at us and we both got detention for the rest of the week," Sophie admitted.

"Wow. Wonderboy got detention." Dex whistled loudly. "That's... kind of amazing!" Biana slapped Dex. "Ow! It's amazing! How is it my fault?"

Biana sighed and wisely kept her mouth closed. "Do you know what you have to do for detention? Keefe supposedly has to iron all of Lady Hara's capes. And she has hundreds." Biana said. Lady Hara was the new headmaster. "And apparently it sucks. Because if there's one wrinkle, they have to reiron all of them."

"How would you know all of this, Biana?" Tam asked.

"I heard around. Besides, I talked to Keefe on the way to lunch," Biana said sweetly. "He told me all about it."

"Biana, I don't know what I have to do. But I would rather iron her capes than do the ballroom dancing thing again with the Greasy Boys. That was terrible." Sophie shuddered. "You don't understand how bad that was."

"Actually... that sounds amazing." Biana shrieked all of a sudden in Sophie's ear.

"OW! Biana! Could you like not scream into my ear?" Sophie yelped. "Also, how is that amazing? Did you hear anything I just said? They were greasy. And Valin had a ball of spit on the side of his mouth the whole time. And their palms were all sweaty. Not to mention they smelled bad. And looked bad. And—"

"Okay, okay, I get it. But hear me out," Biana said. "I have an amazing idea!"

"Fine." Sophie agreed reluctantly, dragging out the syllable.

"Think about it! We should host a ballroom dance at Foxfire! You know... the thing that you showed me from the human world, back when we were fifteen and Keefe didn't know how to dance..." 

Sophie nodded. "I remember. Cotillion?"

"Yeah! But we should have a big one! We could invite every elf in the Lost Cities! Young, old, middle-aged... maybe not the babies. But still! It would be awesome! We could have couples go together, or people could go with their friends..." Biana trailed off, a delighted look on her face. "And of course if we are single but want to go as couples, we would have to get a guy to ask us... and we could dress up and wear makeup for the first time ever and do our hair and have SO much fun!"