Chapter Eight

Sophie was having the worst birthday of her life. This was even worse than her thirteenth birthday, when she had her first birthday in the elven world. Obviously, nobody had celebrated, so she had stayed in her room and studied. On her birthday.

Sophie went up to her room now, ignoring the looks of Keefe, Biana, Tam, Linh, and Dex. Fitz wasn't even looking at her and didn't notice her leave the room. Sophie plopped down on her bed. She didn't cry, she didn't laugh, she didn't do anything. She wasn't tired and she wasn't ready to go to bed. So Sophie sat there, back on the bed, staring at the ceiling, and wondering how such a perfect day could go so wrong.

Today was supposed to be perfect. She was supposed to wake up to the doorbell of her friends. She was supposed to be all ready in a red sparkly party dress. She was supposed to walk down gracefully and catch the eyes of all the boys, especially Fitz. She was supposed to be elegant, beautiful, and graceful. She was supposed to win all of the games, open amazing gifts, have fun with her friends. Eat amazing food that wasn't burnt, have cake, or the elves version of it, and have a perfect day. She would go to sleep knowing that being sixteen was amazing. Oh, and she was going to tell Fitz she liked him and he would say he liked her and...

Sophie's fantasy poofed away as she realized that there was someone standing in the door.

Sophie sat up on the edge of her bed and let Biana in, hoping that this wasn't her time to die. "Hey, Biana?"

Sophie's voice made it into a question. Biana sat wordlessly on the edge of Sophie's bed after closing the door behind her. She made no effort to make any conversation, so Sophie sat there. Waiting. For Biana to talk.

Biana stayed silent.

Sophie sighed. "Biana, is there a reason you're in here?"

Biana was still quiet.

Sophie grimaced. "Biana, you need to tell me why you're in here. It's my room, you know, so I have a right to know. Is this about what Keefe said? Look, I'm sorry. But there's nothing I can do."

Sophie had to lie to Biana too. If she told Biana the truth, Biana would tell Fitz, and life would be miserable from then on.

Biana looked at Sophie and took a deep breath. "Sophie, yes, there is a reason I'm in your room. You know how I feel about Keefe, and you stole him away from me! I cannot believe you! What kind of a friend are you?"

Sophie had already expected this kind of an outburst from Biana, so Sophie sat through it, not speaking, not arguing. When Biana was done, Sophie said,

"Biana, I can't help you. I don't know what you want me to do!"

Biana spoke through gritted teeth. "Tell Keefe you don't like him!"

Sophie shook her head. "I'm not going to lie, Biana. You can't ask me to do that. And I can't hurt him like that."

Biana sighed. "You wouldn't be hurting him. Just tell him to leave you alone until we get Matchmakers Scrolls."

Sophie looked at Biana. "You're honestly expecting to be his number one?"

Biana nodded. "Of course! I don't know what's wrong with you, Sophie. Just tell him that you don't want to be with him until after we get our Matchmakers Scrolls."

Sophie knew that Biana didn't understand. "Biana, I like him! Just like you. You can't do that to me or him. Fitz told me everything."

Biana shook her head. "He didn't."

Sophie wanted Biana to elaborate more, but Biana left it at that. Biana shook her head at Sophie.

"Fine. If you won't tell Keefe no, we're not friends anymore."

Sophie couldn't believe it! How could this day get any worse? "Fine." Sophie was angry and she wanted to show Biana that losing her friendship was not affecting her. At all. When it actually was. "I can't believe you, Biana. Keefe never liked you. You know that. I know that. We all know that." Sophie didn't understand why she was defending Keefe so bad. She didn't actually like him. But why was she being so mean to Biana?

Biana's eyes filled with tears. "I can't believe you said that."

Sophie's anger fueled her. "But it's true. He thinks of you as his little sister. You're never going to be anything else to him."

Biana shook her head, her mascara running down. "Leave me alone. I never want to speak to your stupid face again!" She ran out of the room and into the bathroom, probably to try to stop the tears from coming.

Sophie was still so mad, so she sat back down on her bed, in the same position that she was in before. She didn't know what was going on in her life. Everything was wrong. She didn't know how to fix anything.

What had Biana meant when she said that Fitz hadn't told her everything? What did Biana know about her brother that he wasn't telling his Cognate? Sophie was determined to find out. She was going to break elven law. She was going to sneak into Fitz's mind.

Sophie just hoped that she wouldn't get caught.

I just wanted to say that I have about thirty something chapters of this up on FanFiction.net and that has over 50,000 views :D THANKS!