Chapter Thirty Nine

Y'all should bless me for this double update. haha

Sophie and Fitz boarded the plane. This was their third transfer and at this point, both of them were tired and Sophie couldn't help but groan.

Fitz sighed, "Why can't humans light leap like normal people do?"

Sophie grinned. "Who are you calling abnormal? Humans think we're the weird ones. And besides, we humans are a bit behind on technology and modernized forms of transportation." FItz grinned back at her and lugged his suitcase towards the security area.

The woman in charge of security took one look at Sophie and Fitz and their arms around each other and scoffed. "You two don't know how lucky you are," she said grimly.

Sophie was confused. "What?"

"You guys have each other. I mean, you guys should be treasuring this moment in your life because trust me, it ain't gonna last. In a few years you guys are going to get tired of each other and one of you is gonna cheat on the other and tears and flying objects will be involved and then you'll say some things that you can't take back and you're never going to see each other again and poof: there's another dead love."

Sophie stared at Fitz who stared back at her like Is she okay? Sophie shrugged and turned to the woman, who was wearing a name tag that said Donna.

"Donna, are you okay?" she asked gently. This woman had obviously been through a lot.

Donna waved her off and pushed her through the security. "Clear." She did the same to Fitz and just as they were about to walk off and leave her and her pessimism behind she turned to them and said, "My husband and I just got divorced and I just can't take seeing all these happy couples. I'm really sorry for everything I said and I wish you two the best." Then she turned back to the next person in line, who was stewing about the long wait.

Sophie turned to Fitz and said, "I hope she finds love again."

"She will."

"I don't know. Humans don't have infinite lifespans like elves do. But I really hope something goes right in her life." She got on her tiptoes and kissed Fitz swiftly.

He reacted quickly. "What was that for?"

"I love you. Let's never be like Donna and her ex."

He nodded. "Never." He leaned down and kissed her again and then they went to board their plane.

Finally, they were seated on the plane and Sophie was in a window seat. She was able to look outside as the plane lifted off the ground.

"So, where are we going?" she asked. "How many transfers do we even need?"

"That was the last one. And we're going somewhere European." He smiled at her as her eyes brightened. Europe was notorious for being the most romantic continent and her mind was spinning with possible ideas. She knew Fitz wasn't going to be overly cheesy by taking her to Paris but then where else? Italy? Greece? Somewhere else in France?

As Sophie thought, Fitz drifted off to sleep and Sophie smiled at her husband. His immaculate hair was tousled as his head lolled back against his seat. His mouth was calm and his face was serene. His eyes were closed, something that she rarely got to see and she admired his high cheekbones and smooth skin. After a while, she finally fell asleep too.

The plane made dinging noises and Sophie awoke, only to see Fitz's smiling face, reddened from being caught staring. She yawned and asked groggily, "Are we here?"

He nodded. Sophie winced from the pressure as the plane descended. Finally, they reached the ground. They stood up, grabbed their luggage, and waited for the people to surge forward. Finally, they reached the outside, and Sophie took in a deep breath.