Chapter 5

CHAPTER FIVE

It was finally the weekend and I was sitting on my front porch with my guitar strumming along to one of my songs. I didn’t even notice someone walking up to my porch until there was a shadow that loomed over me. I looked up and almost dropped my guitar.

“L-Lucas” I stuttered. He smiled his beautiful smile that makes my insides want to burst with joy every time and took a seat next to me.

“Let’s go to the park” he smiled looking into my eyes. I turned crimson red and hid my face behind my hair.

“Okay” I said not looking at him so he wouldn’t see my blush. I went inside to putmy guitar away then came back out and headed towards the park.

---

“No way” I laughed, covering my mouth trying insanely not to snort. Lucas laughed too and slowed his swinging to a stop. We sat on the swings talking about our childhood.

“It’s true, I used to tie my blanket around my neck pretending it was a cape and fly around the house saying that I was superman” he laughed again. I couldn’t stop laughing. “Don’t laugh at me. I’ve always wanted to be a superhero” he smiled jokingly.

“You don’t need a cape to be a hero” I said quietly. He looked at me staring into my eyes for a while, his smile slowly getting bigger.  His smile sent me to the moon. I had to hold on to the swing to prevent myself from flying away. It was so easy talking to him. It was as simple as breathing. I never knew it would be this easy sitting here in the park and having a conversation with Lucas smith the boy I’ve been in love with forever.

“It’s so funny how we’ve been neighbours for sixteen years and we don’t hang out much” he said smiling sadly at me.

“Yeah I know” I whispered looking down at my feet. I wished I had more courage to talk to him when we were younger. Maybe if I did then maybe…he would’ve been with me instead of Megan.

“But I still know you” he said nudging my side. I looked up and gave him a confused look. He smiled before flipping his golden brown hair out of his face making my stomach leap.

“Remember the conversations we would have on our sketch pads” he reminded smiling brightly at me. I looked up at the sky trying to remember all the things that we talked about. I looked over at him to notice that he was watching me. I looked down at my feet and blushed. I cleared my throat and started to swing again.

“You love to listen to country music and you play the guitar” he smiled winking at me. I blushed and looked away. “You used to do ballet when you were 5 but quit at 7 because you hated wearing tutus” he continued. “You’re in the school band, your favourite color is blue and you hate spiders, also you hate being alone during thunderstorms, you’re not that very fond of scary movies either, and you’ve seen The Little Mermaid eight times,” he smiled nudging me. I raised an eyebrow at him. “I remember when we were kids you would always put it on whenever I came over” he said looking at me. A surprised breath escaped my mouth and I stopped swinging. I looked over at him and gave him a shocked expression. He remembered that we were friends when we were little?