Another peek.

"Wha... What?" Olivia whispered. The man gaped at the sight. The two stood in silence for what seemed and eternity.

The village huts were burned and crushed. Smoke rose from each of them, still smoldering with heat.

Not a soul was in sight.

Olivia walked through the village, the man a few feet behind. Her head turned from left to right and again and again, unable to believe the sene around her. Tears filled in her eyes as she took in the mass destruction.

She stopped, and turned to face the man.

"What happened?!" She exclaimed, hot tears running down her face as her cheeks and eyes turned red.

"I... I don't know... I..." He stuttered. "I only left hours ago. I can't even..."

He paused, as horror and realization crossed his face. He was no longer looking at Olivia, but past her as a destroyed hut.

"Soldiers." He gasped, walking to the hut. He leaned down, and picked up a pointed object.

It was a rifle.

There was much conflict and war fare raging in the Congo government. People were being captured, slaughtered, taken as slaves. Children were orphaned. Husbands and wives were widowed. Towns were laid waste.

Olivia's village was gone forever.

Olivia fell on her knees and cried out at the sky.

Everything that was ever precious in life to Olivia, was gone.

--------------

The man and Olivia drove in the jeep in silence. They had already been driving through the night through the jungle, hoping to find a local town that had not yet been destroyed.

Olivia's eyes began to become heavier and heavier, and she was almost asleep when the jeep slammed to a stop. The man put his hand over her mouth, whispering in urgency to get down and to be quiet.

Olivia got down below the window and pushed his hand off her mouth. Only after that did she raise her head enough to get a glimps the window.

Trucks and their blinding headlights surround their jeep. Men with cloth wrapped around their mouth and head held rifles in their arms, pointing them directly at Olivia's head.

She did not need another peek.