Are you serious!?

"Come on! Run Noel, run!" Olivia screamed, holding onto the tiny girl's hand,

A fire had started at the slave camp. Perhaps someone had carelessly dropped a cigarette butt by a gasoline can.

Olivia could only guess that by the size and sheer heat of the red flames.

It didn't help that fire hated Olivia.

But for once, fire seemed to have Olivia in its good books that day, because the fire was so huge and smoky, that in the panic and chaos, Olivia had seen the now unguarded exit.

All she could do was grab Noel's hand and pray the other slaves saw the exit as well.

Olivia and Noel now ran through the jungle as cover. It wouldn't be long before they realized the brick throwing girl was gone.

---------------

"I... Think... We lost them." Olivia panted as she sat down on a log. Noel plopped onto her lap, glad to take a breather.

Olivia was about to say something else when both heard a faint rustling coming from farther back in the jungle, followed by the roar of an engine, that seemed to be consumed by the forest.

"Shoot." Olivia whispered. They hadn't escaped the slave holders at all.

--------------

Olivia began to panic. How could they have found them so deep in the jungle?

Olivia's answer was momentarily answered by the far sound of barking.

They're using dogs to track them.

Olivia' heart was in her throat. How were they going to hide from the dogs?!

Then an idea hit her.

--------------

"Climb Noel, climb!" She urged, pushing Noel higher and higher into a tree that arched over the log they had sat on.

When Noel was able to grab a vine and able to climb higher and higher, and was able to sit on a branch, Olivia hastily told her to throw down one of her socks.

This made her remember when she entered the slave camp, and the first thing they did was throw her work clothes and ordered to a room to change out of her purple gemed dress. Perhaps they thought the gems were real, and wanted to take each gem and sell them to the rich. She was never told for sure.

"Oh I wish I still had that dress." She told herself.

Olivia looked up at Noel.

"Keep climbing. Don't fall out, and do not let them see you." Olivia said sternly. What she didn't dare tell the young girl was that if her plan didn't work, Olivia may never see her again.

The reason the socks reminded her of her dress was because if she still had it, she could use it instead of her current clothing.

Olivia took in a deep breath, and tore off her left sleeve.

Now she had to run.

With one hand with the sock and sleeve being dragged on the ground, and the other hand snapping branches, she made a clear path of her presence, while leading her sent and Noel's away from the tree.

Only when she came across a small gorge with a running creek did hurl the sock and sleeve into the water.

Part one of her plan was complete.

Now for the nearly impossible part.

Olivia now had to make it back to the tree following the exact path she came, before the slave holders catch up to her.

She kept her eyes on the low branches, searching for each snapped branch to show indeed she was going to right way.

She also tried to look down whenever she could, trying to make out her foot prints.

She sighed in relief when she made out the familiar log and vined tree, and rushed to the bottom to grab hold of the vines that were barely out of her reach.

"Jump! Jump! Jump!" She yelled to herself, until the hand caught around the lowest one. She then began to pull herself up to grab the next vine, and to the next, and to the next.

It was on the first branch that the engine roared again, only a few hundred feet away. So loud, it startled Olivia almost to falling out of the tree.

She kept could hear the blood pump in her body as lifted herself to the next branch, and the next, and the next.

Only did she stop was when she stood beside scared and tired Noel.

By this time, the dogs were only thirty feet away.

That was when Olivia realized a huge flaw in her plan.

Their sent was all over the tree they had climbed.

All she could do was pray. "Oh Lord, don't let the dogs smell the tree. Don't let them smell the tree."

Noel threw her arms around Olivia in fright, as the first dog stood five feet from the tree. Olivia, standing, could only hug the tree to keep herself from falling from the branch.

But this action caused the tree to shake, only slightly.

The dog's head snapped at the movement. Olivia suddenly heard whimpering coming from Noel. Olivia slapped her hand over Noel's mouth and gestured to her to be quiet. Noel shook her head as tears began to run from her eyes, down her cheeks, and onto Olivia's hand.

"Why is she crying?" She thought. Olivia hadn't had the time to explain that if the dogs found them, they were done for. What was she so scared about.

Olivia gave a confused look to Noel, as a way to ask what was scaring her.

Noel only stared over Olivia's shoulder.

Olivia sighed, knowing what was coming. She turned her head.

Only feet away from her was a black snake.

"Ahhh, of course. Classic." Olivia thought, defeated, as she stared into the snake's black milky eyes.

She suddenly felt like she had seen the snake before, and studied the snake closer, with it's black scales and white under belly.

"Wait a minute..."

It's a black mamba!

"Are you serious!?"