Olivia, Kelly, and Noel.

Olivia sat on the branch of a tree three feet in diameter. The buzz of insects rang in Olivia's ears. The moon had reached zenith, not a cloud in the sky to dull its glow.
Noel's head rested on Olivia's shoulder, her stomach rising and falling gently.
In Olivia's hands laid the helpless infant that she had rescued from monsters that very day.
These two children are now were dependent on Olivia for their very own survival. 
An adopted sister. And adopted child. 
Their lives were on her shoulders now.
Olivia could feel the muscles in her back twist into knots.
If she looses them, she would spend the rest of her life blaming herself.
And the biggest stressor for most teenagers her age is final exams.
Olivia stared up into the man in the moon's crater eyes.
"Can... Can I even do this?" She thought. "Can I let alone survive out here? Even without two other children?" She took in a deep breath. What she had said to Noel about adulthood before saving Kelly echoed in her ears.
"Well, no, because when you're an adult, you can get married, survive on you're own, maybe take care of children, and... Wow, I am an adult."
"No freaking way am I an adult." Olivia shook her head and looked down at Kelly. Yes, you can be a mother and be married by her age. There were even cultures where they arranged marriages for teenagers because they were mature enough physically for the task. Heck, that's expectable here.
But mentally mature?
This much responsibility would drive anyone mad.
And even in those cultures, young mothers have support from family or tribal members to raise the child.
Olivia was in the middle of a jungle with her family halfway across the world.
"What if I die and they're left alone out here?"
An image of eight year old Noel carrying a four month old baby through the jungle sent a stabbing sickness in the pit of Olivia's stomach.
Olivia knew she wasn't ready to raise two children on her own.
But she knew she had to be and now. That is, if they wanted to stand any chance of survival.
 --------------
In a paper birch forest of snow, fat fluffy snowflakes descended from the grey gentle sky and landed on the three foot icy blanket. Hoar frost covered the sleeping trees with delicate glistening crystals.
The land would have seemed like an image of Heaven on Earth.
But this land was anything but Holy.
A creature, with her back hunched and blood running from her mouth, lumbered through the tranquil forest, snarling and growling through the hot saliva in her throat.
Her body would have been as white as the snow around her if she wasn't stained of dirt, blood, and the souls of those she had devoured. Her hair was a bird's nest, filled with grease, dirt, branches, and blood. Snowflakes collected like a crown around her head.
She was a monster.
She lifted her head, inhaled the cold sweet air. A delicious aroma floated through the breeze.
Flesh.
She blinked through the snow dense trees, searching for prey.
Two children, one black and one white, were pinning themselves against the trees, making an attempt to not be seen.
The monster smiled, hell itself burning in the pupil of her eyes.
She stooped down to all fours, lowered her head like a jungle cat, and sprang forward, running through the snow like a tiger.
The terrorized children turned to flee, but to no prevail. The creature drew nearer and nearer, and in one tremendous leap, plunged upward, piercing out of her hands her dagger like two inch claws, closing in around the white child's head. The little girl screamed, but...
"Olivia! Olivia!" Noel shook Olivia on the shoulder.
"What what what?!" Olivia jolted upright.
"Olivia." Noel hushed. "You're crying."
Olivia's face was hot and sticky. She reached up and wiped what remained of her tears under her eyes an drool on her chin.
"Are you okay?" Noel whispered.
"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Nothing to worry about. Let's go back to sleep."
Noel, too tired to push for anymore details, shrugged, and resumed her position of sleep against Olivia.
Olivia sighed, and looked down at the precious infant in her lap, by some miracle hadn't woke up. The baby, as dark as the night sky, seemed to glow like a star in Olivia's trembling hands 
Olivia looked up at the moon, recollecting her dream of the monster and the children.
The monster and the two children.
The monster and the black and white children. 
The monster and the black and white girls.
The monster and...
And...
And...
Oh no.
"Lord no." Olivia's eyes welled with tears.
Olivia, Kelly, and Noel.