Your wrist would have been torn off.

• Dedicated to That kid that sounds like Okward

The snake crawled closer and closer. Being only four feet long, it had to get closer to strike Olivia. 

“Welp, it’s been a good life. Beaten up by suckish foster parents, thrown off Niagara, beaten up by worse suckish parents, friggin dumped my engagement to the only guy stupid enough to ask, was the result of a mass slaughter to an entire village…”

The snake inched closer and closer. 

“Freaken snake! Of all the bloody ways to die, a FREAKEN-“

Swoop!

The snake was gone.

“For crying out loud…” She mouthed, watching as it was carried higher and higher into the sky.

“Snake eagle.” She shook her head, smiling.

But their was no time for relief. There were matters still needed to be attended to. After all, there was a gang of slave holders using dogs to track them down.

Olivia looked down. 

The dog was sniffing the tree.

“Oh no.” Her eyes dilated. “No, no, no.”

The dog moved to the side of the tree to smell, then stopped.

Noel and Olivia held their breath.

The dog took in a deep breath, and… 

Lifted his hind leg.

One of the hardest things to do in Olivia’s life was not laugh at that moment.

It seemed hours that dog relieved himself.  Only when the slave holders arrived their jeep arrive did the dog shake himself.

No one was tracking that scent.

Once the remaining dogs howled and ran down Olivia’s decoy scent, and the jeep was out of sight, Olivia laughed so hard she fell out of the tree.

———————

“Ow! WHY am I carrying you?!” Olivia yelled as she cradled Noel, closer and closer to the shore of a vast lake.

Olivia was fortunate not to break anything, but as she fell off the tree, the branch both of them were standing on snapped off. And while Noel was fast enough to grab the branch above her, the 50 pound limb fell on Olivia’s foot, which now began to throb and turn slight purple.

To lower the swelling, Olivia knew she needed something cold to put on bruise.

“Alright.” Olivia threw Noel on the sand and collapsed. “I’m done.” She sat up, and scooted to the water that rippled onto the sandy shore.

“Ahhh yes.” She said, dipping her hands in the cool water and spreading tin on her foot.

Noel shot up and ran 3 feet deep into the water.

“Um…” Olivia tilted her head. Noel splashed threw the water in the air and kicked it all around her.

Olivia was about to forget about her foot and join Noel when she saw a flat, dull head sink into the water 20 feet away. 

“NOEL GET OUT OF THE WATER NOW!” Olivia bolted upright and reached for Noel’s wrist, yanking her out of the water and pulling her away from the shore. No croc was getting them today.

With Olivia’s heart still beating out of her lungs, she panted, and looked at Noel, holding her wrist in pain from how hard Olivia had squeezed it.

“Heh.” Olivia said, raising one more elbow. “A little longer and your wrist would have been torn off.”