Childcare

We walked into childcare and sat down as soon as our teacher Miss Rose walked into the room. Miss Rose is the nicest and best teacher. She was going to be disappointed with me when she finds out I am pregnant. There have already been two people from this exact class that have left school because they were pregnant. She probably will think I would be more responsible than that.

I was considering talking to her; she would know what I should do. That’s when she announced,

"Class, today we are going to be learning about childbirth and I have a few video clips for us to watch."

The whole class started moaning and groaning. I just felt the tears start to well up in my eyes. I got out of my seat and started to walk out of the classroom.

"Bronte, where are you going?" Miss Rose asked.

"I’m going to be sick," I said covering my mouth as I ran out. I heard Miss Rose ask Georgia to go after me.

We went got to the toilets; I stood in front of the mirror staring into it.

"Bronte?" Georgia had her serious face on.

"George, I can’t do this!"

"It’s okay. I’ll go back and tell the teacher you’re going to sick bay," She started to walk out.

"No Georgia, don’t go. I mean can’t go through with this," I said pointing at my stomach.

"You can! You have me and Tom and….."

"Yeah G that’s it. I can’t even tell my Mum or Dad about it but soon they are going to start noticing."

"I know this is going to sound stupid, but if you think about it, it’s not such a bad idea! Talk to Miss Rose. I know how much she loves you. I am sure she will be there for you," She thought.

"I was actually thinking about that before but how come I would be able to talk to my childcare teacher but not my Mum?"

While we were contemplating that, I asked Georgia to go tell Miss Rose we were going to the office but we would be back after class to talk to her. We obviously didn’t go to the office; we just sat in the bathroom discussing what I was going to say to my teacher.

Before long, the bell rang. By the time Georgia and I got back to our classroom, everyone had left except Miss Rose who was sitting at her desk.

"Bronte, Georgia. Is everything alright?" Miss Rose asked curious.

"Not quite," G said, gesturing towards my direction.

"Um, I really need your help!" I whispered.

"I’ll see what I can do," Her eyebrows narrowed.

"Miss, I’m pregnant," I explained looking down at my stomach.

"Are you sure? I wouldn’t pick you for the type of person to be sexually active," She was shocked. Just as I thought.

"Yes, I am sure! I went to the doctors yesterday and apparently I am exactly 9 weeks today, although I didn’t know at all," My mouth was so dry.

"So you had not a clue, you could have been possibly pregnant?"

"No, I went to a party about that long ago and got really drunk and can’t remember anything. But I think we figured all that out just before," I said looking a Georgia, who gave me a sympathetic look.

We sat there talking for ages. She explained a lot of the information I needed to know. I pondered over what she said for the rest of the day.

At 3 o’clock the bell rang and Georgia and I decided to walk home today.

"Bron, you have to tell your mum!"

"Mm-hm." I replied.

"No Bronte, I am serious!" She stopped walking.

I started crying. I knew I was going to have to do tell her soon but I was completely dreading it.

"You have to come with me and you have to back me up!" I was so scared.

The rest of the way home, I rambled long about what I was going to say to my parents. Georgia gave me tips and pointers, here and there. When we finally arrived at my house, Mum, Dad and my older brother, Noah were all sitting on the lounge. Noah got up and said he had to get ready to go out. He is 19 and is always at his girlfriend’s house, Alice. She is like my older sister I never had, except she hasn’t been around for a while. I wish I could talk to her right now.

Georgia and I went into my room and pretty much finalised what I was going to say. As soon as I heard Noah’s car pull out of the driveway I went and sat on the coffee table in front of them while G stood behind me. They looked at me weird. They had not a clue what was about to come there way.

"Mum, Dad. I have something to tell you!" I watched my hands trembling.