Baby Shower

My eyes flew open and I began to rub them furiously. I looked outside the window to notice we were almost home. We were coming through the exit of the freeway near Wallsend at the F1 Hotel.

“I’m sorry, I fell asleep.”

“Why are you apologising?” Tom narrowed his eyebrows.

“Because I fell asleep, I guess.”

“Well, I am glad you got some sleep. You need it.” He smiled.

“Yeah but we are almost home.” I frowned.

“We can go back, Sydney isn’t that far away?” Tom reminded me.

“I know but it was just so amazing, I never wanted to leave.”

“You never know what could happen in the future.” He shrugged his shoulders.

His comment got me thinking again. The future. What it could hold. Now that we were almost home, it was time to get back to reality. It was still school holidays but back to scans and test and Matilda could be here any day now. But this trip really did make me look at everything more positively and I was looking forward to our next trip to Sydney.

When we rounded the corner into our street, for some reason I was getting butterflies in my stomach and I felt nervous. When Tom parked the car, I realised there was a lot of cars in the street, probably about twenty more than usual. We had only been away for four days.

We jumped out and then I saw Mum come running out of the house. While Tom retrieved the bags from the boot, Mum pulled me into a massive hug.

“Welcome home!”

I kissed her on the cheek, “Thanks Mum! Miss me?”

“Of course.” She gave Tom a hug and took the bags off him. “Come inside, I would love to know everything that happened but I have something to show you first,” She announced.

I took Tom’s hand and we followed her through the front door, where she put down our bags and then she continued the walk to the back door. She slid it open and we walked through

My whole family stood there and shouted ‘SURPRISE!’ There would have been at least twenty-five people standing and sitting around the outdoor table covered with food from one end to the other and two long pink banners hanging from the verandah. One said ‘IT’S A GIRL!’ and the other said ‘BABY SHOWER!’

Mum walked up to me and kissed my cheek. “Happy Baby Shower!”

Everyone was here. Georgia and Lincoln, Dad, Noah and Alice, Grandma and Grandpa (that I haven’t seen in so long), Ben, Michelle and Ruby, Aunty Lindsay, Uncle Andrew, Indigo, Willow, Harry and Archie and a couple of my friends from school (Beth, Layla and Steph). I don’t see Dad’s side of the family so they weren’t here.

I stood there shocked, my hand covering my jaw dropped mouth and tears welling up in my eyes. All I managed to say was;

“Holy crap!”

I let me hands drop and Tom grabbed one and Mum held the other. I looked at Tom who had a massive smile on his face and then he kissed my cheek.

“Did you know about this?” I whispered.

He bobbed his head up and down, sheepishly. I rolled my eyes and repaid his smile and kiss. Of course, he knew. Mum squeezed my hand and said;

“Go on, it’s your party. Don’t leave everyone hanging.”

I stumbled forward, crashing into Georgia arms.

“I missed you so much,” She screamed in my ear.