Chapter 3

Dear Mrs Roberts,

When I first saw that ring on your finger, I was heart broken. Because someone out there had been able to show you their love for you.
It didn't make me stop liking you, if anything, I loved you more, because I knew you were happy.

Yesterday, when you whispered in my ear, all my troubles went. When you told me that I could call you, my heart exploded, not only because you being my crush just gave me your number but because for the first time in my life someone has actually shown they care.

Love,
Layla Parker

I stared at my phone. I had added her contact but my finger was hovering over 'call'.
What if she didn't actually care. What if she already hated me for crying on her.

Then my dad stumbled in.
"Oi, what the fuck are you doing Laylay?" He used the nickname my mum used to give me.
He swung his fist at me and my nose started bleeding heavily. The next punch busted my lip. The next kick hurt like a bitch. My dad left and just as I was going to get up, my brother walked in. Shit.
He smacked me across the face and grabbed me by the ear.
"You worthless shit of a being" He spat.
I was crying, silently.
He grew furious. " No one in this family  cries. You fucking disgrace me" A few more kicks and punches left me in moving on the floor. Then I was left alone. I lay there, tears trickling down my face.
Then I shakily picked up my phone and pressed call before I could change my mind.
"Hello?" Her voice sounded like angels.
"It's me, Layla"
"I thought you wouldn't call!" Even through the phone I could tell she was smiling.
"Well I-I...." Then my voice cracked.
"Honey, what's the matter? Did something happen?" Her voice was full of worry.
"I j-just want to talk to you but not over the phone"
"That's alright sweetie, can you meet right now in the park?"
"Yes, but it's dark" I looked out of my window.
"How about I pick you up and we have a chat in my car then?"
I smiled hugely.
"I live on Winston Road, 44"
"I'll be there in 5"
Then just before she was going to hang up I added

"Can you bring some plasters and tissues?"

~

I waited in my front garden because there was no way my dad would be happy if someone came knocking for me.
Then I saw head lights and a car pull up in front of me.
I looked in and saw Mrs Roberts kind face smiling at me. She opened the door and I got in.
Her smile dropped and she gasped as she saw the state I was in.
I guess I did look pretty shit. Blood around my nose, blood on my mouth and blood everywhere basically and tears drying up.
"Oh Layla" She whispered as she got our tissues and wipes.
Then she quickly realised that it was too small in the car to clean me up so she said
"Do you mind if we go to mine so I can clean you up properly?"
My fluttered.
"Your house? Isn't your husband there?" When I said that I thought I saw her smile fade a little.
"It's okay, he's gone for a few days for business."
So she drove down the dark roads in the city until we arrived to a modern and sleek house.
"You have a nice house Mrs Roberts" I said shyly.
She laughed "It's not bad I guess, and I told you to call me Erin"
She gestured to the door
"Come on in sweetie"

.