Ch. 3 "Going to a ball"

Gemma pulled into the driveway and parked. She noticed the screen on the window to the bedroom was off but the window was shut. She stepped out of the car and told Luca to stay till she came to get him. She pulled out her gun and made sure it was loaded. She turned the doorknob knowing she locked the door. It opened and she walked in checking all the kitchen bathroom bedroom and living room. The house was small and easy to make sure it was clear. In the bedroom there was a note with her name. She locked the window picked up the note and put it in her pocket. She had Luca come inside and locked the door.

"Let's get you clean baby." Gemma pulled Luca to the bed and undressed him. She had the bath running with warm water. She put Luca in and gave him the water gun to play with.

"I'm just like you mommy." He smiled like it was a good thing.

"No baby you don't wanna be like me. You don't want to have to carry a gun." She bathed him and got him dried off slipping his little boxers on. "Let's get you some food so you can nap." It was one pm now and he likes to nap at two. She started to make grilled cheese with leftover chicken from the night before and plated it.

"Thanks mommy."

"No problem big guy." Gemma ate across from him at the table. She was Luca's only real family, she always wanted to be with him and keep him safe. She didn't want Luca to live the same childhood as her. That's why she moved from New York to Las Vegas. Luca yawned as he finished his last bite. He put the in the sink and washed his hands. Gemma enjoyed the way Luca did stuff for himself at his young age. She was glad to see her parenting skills were not half bad for her age ether. She just turned twenty one before leaving New York but she definitely didn't celebrate like others.

"I'm going night nights. I love you."

"I love you too baby. I'll be in after I shower." He nodded and walked to their room. Gemma followed suit but got undressed and walked to the shower. Gemma wanted Luca to be comfortable with the human body. Gemma did not hide her body from Luca and he didn't hide his. She thought bodies were natural and it was nothing to hide. She showered and put on clothes. She put some laundry in the wash as Luca slept. He was such an easy child. The note she picked up earlier fell from the jeans. She started the laundry and read the note

'You will leave to New York now and stop at Joe's when you get there.
You will walk to the back and knock on the door. If you are not here by Monday at 9 o'clock someone will be hurt. Don't risk Luca's life because you don't know how to act.

~M. Costa'

Gemma huffed irritated that she was involved with all of this. She only wanted to get Luca away from it all. Her phone dinged and took her from her thoughts. The one person who was not family in her phone texted.

'Tomorrow night! Be ready at 7 we are going to a ball' the message from her friend Samantha read. Sam had said it would be her job to take Gemma out once a month wether she liked it or not. 'Okay' was the reply she sent. Gemma knew it would be good to get her mind off of the note. She would ask Mia to take care of Luca tomorrow night.

The day was uneventful and Luca kept Gemma up till twelve because he napped for so long. Finishing laundry and playing some games they were fast asleep after.

                    *     *     *     *                   

It was four o'clock and Gemma decided to start dinner for Luca. She made spaghetti and set it down to eat. She ate an apple as Luca scarfed down the bowl and asked for more. He was an Italian at heart. Gemma cleaned up dinner and turned on the TV for Luca.

Gemma took a shower and did her hair it was now six thirty and she had finished light makeup to complement her bright red lipstick. She walked to the small jewelry box and pulled out her great grandmothers pearls. She fastened the necklace and earring. Gemma unzipped the long hanger bag that reviled a floor length, off the shoulder red silk dress with a slit in the leg. She stepped into the gown and pulled it up to her shoulders. She zipped up the side of the dress and looked in the mirror. She sighed and wished grandmother Pearl had helped her get ready tonight. Her hair was slightly curled at the end with a tight Dutch braid on the side holding some hair out of her face. The light eyeshadow shimmered and the touch of highlight glowing with the bold red lips. The dress was beautiful as it hugged Gemma's hips and flared out some. Her breasts were on full display as the V for the shoulders started at her cleavage. She pulled the gun holster up her thigh just past the slit. She checked the clip on the gun before she strapped it around her thigh. She picked up the black heels with a strap at her ankles and walked to the living room.