Ch. 5 "I raised him"

Nico stood and put his hand out for Gemma. "Luis follow me." They walked out "You have a nice shot. I'm shocked that your not crying over those men."

"I don't care about them I'm just protecting myself."

"Well that you did."

"Ha thanks." Gemma said sarcastically trying to finding Sam in the crowded room they walked back into. Nico's hand never left her's even as people stared at them. Gemma pulled Sam away from the stranger who handed her another drink. She was wasted but happy to see Gemma.

"Oooh whose that!"

"Sam I though you could hold your liquor better than this!"

"I'M FINE!"

"Your drunk and were leaving." Sam crossed her arms like a child who got told no. She was funny when drunk.

"I will drive her home and then we'll get you home." Nico said as if all the anger he had was gone. Gemma nodded not caring how she got home at the moment.

Luis pulled into her driveway as Nico got out. They walked to the door and Mia was already waiting with Luca asleep on Leo's shoulder. Gemma took the boy and said goodbyes. She walked in the house and sat on the couch. The door closed and Nico followed her in.

"Is that you're brother?"

"Yeah. I'm going to put him to bed I'll be back out." When Gemma pushed to get herself off the couch Luca woke up.

"Mommy? Your home!"

"Yeah baby, let's get you in bed and I'll get ready for bed too." Luca nodded his head drifting back to sleep on her shoulder. As Gemma walked away Nico's thoughts filled his head. 'Why did he call her mom?' 'Why did she really move here?' Are some questions that ran threw his mind. One again he was thinking about a woman he knew very little about but he wanted to know more and it made him furious. Gemma stepped back into the living room interrupting his thoughts. She was no longer in the beautiful red dress but an old t-shirt with some holes it in and sleeping shorts. The brown hair was tied up and the jewelry had vanished. He still thought she was beautiful. "Would you like something to drink?"

"No. Why did he call you mommy?"

"He always thought I was his mom because I raised him, I'm the only person who has been in his life the whole time. I can't tell him that I'm not his mother but have always acted if I was. I just took the role of being a mom, it always seemed easier than explaining." Gemma looked down at her hands talking about the sensitive subject of her brother.

"How did you learn to shoot?"

"My grandfather taught me everything I know. When I was four I already learned how to clean a gun. I'm thankful because I can protect him." Gemma nodded her head to the room she came from.

"How old are you now?"

"Twenty-one."

"Okay. You should get to sleep. I'll see you tomorrow with the money." Nico stood and walked to the door opening it and turning to look at Gemma.

"Drive safe. I'll see you tomorrow." Gemma locked the door and walked to the bedroom. Luca laid in the middle of the bed sprawled out, she shook her and and got in next to him. She fell asleep without another thought.