Ch. 23 "Waking up"

Nico had woken up the next morning with a headache and the drawing in his hand. He groaned sitting up looking at the time. It was 11am and he was home alone. All he could think about was Gemma and the little boy who left a lasting impression.

Where is Gemma?

Is she okay?

What is she doing?

Is Luca with her?

Are they both okay?

Do they both hate me?

Questions continued to run through Nico's head. Deciding he was getting nowhere fast he got up to take a shower. After all the smell of alcohol, sweat, and musk weren't necessarily his favorite.

Cleaning up last nights mess he went to the bathroom to shower. Coming out he dresses in his usual slacks and black button down shirt ready to call Renzo and find the girl who he began to really care about.

"Hello?"

"Renzo. Are you still with Gemma? Are her and Luca okay?"

"Right now it looks like she's arriving in New York. Luca is with Emily at home."

"New York? Why is she in New York?"

"Costa showed up with multiple men ensuring that he would get Gemma. Luis has been shot but they made sure that they had a tracking device in Gemma before Costa took her."

"THEY FUCKING TOOK HER?!?!"

"Yes now would you get down to my office so we can find a way to get her back safely?!" Renzo was irritated with the whole situation as was Nico. A short reply and hanging up the phone Nico was on his way to figure out how to get Gemma.

Once Nico was in Renzo's office and told the tragic events of last night Nico was now ready to get to the girl he was possibly following for back.

Most the day had passed with lots of planning and looking at the tracker implanted in Gemma. The location ended up at a fancier restaurant on the outskirts of the city.

The plan was to go to New York with about twenty men and save Gemma. Both Renzo and Nico didn't mind killing Costa somewhere through this plan.

As Renzo was getting ready to head home Nico finally asked a question that had been on his mind through the entirety of planning.

"Can I come see Luca?"

"I was strictly told not to let you see him by Gemma but I think it's a good idea. He seems bored and Emily said he keeps asking where you and Gemma are."

With that Nico nodded collecting his stuff ready to go see the three year old boy who changed his opinion on children. Before he thought all were annoying and all they did was cry and poop but now he realized that's not all true. Luca seemed to have a great personality and was very caring but protective over his older sister. Luca was also very well behaved for a child, props to Gemma and her parenting skills.

Nico arrived at Renzo's house anxiously waiting to see Luca. The door was open and Renzo led the way to the living room where his pregnant wife was sitting while Luca was coloring.

Luca looked up and the sound of footsteps waiting to see Gemma like she said yesterday she would pick him up today but he was slightly disappointed when she wasn't there. He had spent almost everyday of his life with her and now she just wasn't here like she said she'd be. Luca was somewhat happy when he saw the man that he looked up to walk in behind Renzo. Getting up Luca rushed over to Nico.

Nico picked the boy up asking him if he has had fun here and what he was drawing. Answering the questions quickly he asked his own question.

"Where is mommy?"

"She's taking care of something right now big man. She will be back soon."

"But she said we were going to aunties and uncles today. When are we going?"

"I'm sure she will take you when she comes back." To this Luca nodded his head still waiting for the return of his only motherly figure.

"I miss her." He whispered sadly into Nico's shoulder as he put his head down.

"Hey it's okay Luca. Has she ever broken a promise to you?" Luca shakes his head to the random question. "Well then you know she will be back buddy. Don't worry, mommy is strong huh?"

To this Luca rapidly nodded his head a smile coming to his face at the thought of how strong Gemma was and always seemed to be in front of him.

The four ate dinner together at the request of Emily. After that Nico took the sleepy Luca home getting him in pajamas and into bed. Nico's head soon hit his pillow and he was asleep as well.