Chapter 1: Welcome Home

Jerking awake, I gasp for the air my lungs itch to consume. My chest rises and falls in a quick tempo with my heavy breathing I try desperately to control. I reach up to smooth the headache away from my forehead, the pounding making me believe I could have drank an entire bar and woke up with a hangover. Once the headache subsided, I glance at my surroundings. Thoughts of concern swirls around in my mind as I try to focus my eyes on the darkness that wraps around me like a blanket. And it isn't until I catch my breath that I notice I am inside of my casket. It's the usual white linen fabric that's as soft as silk and my eyes connect with the noticeable tear that I made in it many years ago when awakening with anger.

This is normal behavior for my egotistical brother, Niklaus, to dagger me or another family member. However, it is odd to be awakening inside of a dark cave that I don't recognize. Niklaus has never dumped us into an isolated location before. Typically, he sticks around to gloat over him subduing us for however long he had desired to keep us under. But Niklaus is no where to be seen. Or a single living soul for that matter.

The last thing I remember is Niklaus daggering me after ordering Kol off to retrieve Jeremy Gilbert. I was last daggered in the 1920's during a congested party. Then, Elijah had undaggered me and the rest of our siblings. We were going to leave Niklaus back in Mystic Falls to feel the loneliness he fears so much, until our mother appeared and set a plan in motion to kill herself and her own children. A vampire genocide.

An odd feeling echos in my chest at the reminder of our mother and what she had done to us in her short time of returning to life.

I shake the thoughts of her away. I don't want to remember her. Or any other family member. The only family I can fathom is my dear twin brother, Kol.

Kol. A spark of worry ignites in me at the thought of where he could be. Apparently, one twin was enough for Niklaus, because after sending Kol off, our dear brother showed his true face hidden under that mask of his and daggered me. But not before explaining he would inform Kol I ran away without him. I never doubted Kol would figure out Niklaus' impertinent plan, though. Kol knows I would never just leave him behind. Not like our other siblings. Not again.

I've never cared for Rebekah, Niklaus, or Elijah like I do Kol. Unlike Kol who has longed for their love and attention, wanting to be a part of their idiotic 'always and forever' pact. But me? I prefer it to be just Kol and myself. I don't need anyone else's attention or love and that's how it's been for the past 1000 years of my vampire existence. Before, I liked to believe we were a happy family, all humans and having fun together. However, that all ended once our father forced us to become the monsters we are today. When Henrik, the youngest of the six of us, died, it caused our father and mother an abundant amount of pain and to help themselves cope, they had preformed a retrial that could protect us all from death. Father soon regretted it and we've been running from him since. Although, he has not been a problem for some time now. And obviously mother no longer agreed with her choice either, due to her attempt of ridding us.

I came to terms with being a vampire quickly. I learned to love the perks with the help of Kol by my side. He taught me everything I know; how to give in to the impulsive behaviors, quenching my cravings for blood, and no remorse about who we kill, along with keeping our feelings for others to a minimum. Unlike our sister Rebekah who falls in love with every man that looks in her direction.

It was difficult at first to jump on board with the life we were thrusted into, but I've learned to accept my fate. Kol and I leaned on each other for years to become accustomed to everything until we found our joy again. I love my brother more than anything, and that's the only love I have ever felt. And it will always be that way.

When I feel my faintness subside, I successfully stumble out of my casket with a bit of a struggle from how weak I am. Due to the lack of blood consumption, I wonder if I'll be able to find my way out of here.