Chapter 19: Alpha Pack

It's been hours since arriving back to the depot after saving Jackson. We're still unsure of how he came back to life, but because he is no longer a threat, Derek and his pack and I decided to leave him with his happy ending. Now I'm just waiting for mine.

I stare at my phone alone in the cart, anxiously waiting for my brother to call me. But with each passing minute, my hope diminishes more and more. He said he would call before the night was over, and it's already one in the morning. I should give up and come to terms that he's never going to call, but I can't. I can't accept that he's never coming back.

A tear slips from my eye and I can't help the whimper that escapes. This isn't fair! I've done everything I've been asked of. I've helped Derek and his pack, I've helped Scott, and I've helped with the Kanima issue, along with the Argent's and Matt. What more can everyone want from me?

"Renee," a familiar voice whispers into my ear as they sit next to me. I don't have to look up to know it's Isaac. I could hear him rustling around in the other room for hours. He had never gone to sleep and it's probably because of me. He heard my conversation with Kol earlier today and was probably waiting with me on my happy ending or waiting for when he knew I'd need him.

"I'm sorry," I apologize while wiping at my eyes. "I didn't mean to disturb you."

"Hey," he coos placing his thumb under my chin and turning me to face him. I stare into his beautiful blue eyes, feeling a wave of comfort flow through me.

"I lost him again," I cry. Immediately, Isaac places my head into the crook of his neck and rubs at my back as he tries to soothe me with his words. But there isn't anything he can say to make any of this right. Yes, I am calmer with him here, but in the end, I'm always going to be sad. However, I will always be grateful for that closure our phone call gave me. Another thing our phone call gave me is answers on how to bring him back.

He had mentioned something about 'the other side' and maybe with that knowledge I can find a witch to help bring him back. My only issue is finding a witch that is willing to help an Original because not many witches appreciate vampires, especially Originals. That won't stop me from researching, though. I can't give up on my brother because I know he would never give up on me. I need him here with me so we can continue living our eternal life together.

"Isaac?" I mumble.

"Yes?"

"Can you stay with me?"

"Of course," he responds softly and places a kiss on top of my head. "Whatever you need."

I smile softly, happy to have someone like Isaac with me and knowing that my brother is watching over me from beyond.

✵ ✵ ✵ ✵ ✵

Walking through the luminous woods with Peter, Derek, and Isaac, the sun shines brightly in our eyes as we follow behind Derek to their burnt down home. Now that Derek knows the Argent's won't be bothering him for some time, he had come to the conclusion that moving back into his childhood house was a glorious idea. I prefer the train depot over that dump, but it doesn't matter what I want. Besides, wherever Isaac goes, I go. I don't trust Peter, nor do I trust Derek, but this is Isaac's pack and I'm not going to leave him alone with them.

With a few more yards, the familiar Hale house comes into our line of vision. However, as we get closer to the front of the building, I find an addition to the house that was not there from my previous visit. Pausing at the front of the stairs, I stare confusingly at the front door with a painted symbol on it, similar to the one on Derek's back.