Chapter 6: Training Day

At four in the morning, Derek and I have the three beta's up and ready to train through the drills Derek has set up with props lying around the building. In this obstacle, Derek will have his first nominee, Isaac, jump over carts and cable drums, then use the steel beams to dive at him for the final attack. He is never going to be able to pin Derek down, or even touch him, but this isn't a trounce. This is to teach them techniques and gain speed and agility. So far, Isaac seems to be the fastest out of the three.

As predicted, Isaac did the same routine over and over, continuously failing the final attack. And while he works on his skills, Boyd sits on the stairs watching, but as for Erica, I'm unsure of her whereabouts. She was here a moment ago... How is she to learn anything if she can't sit through someone else's training? She is supposed to be learning from Isaac's mistakes. I won't be surprised if she's the first one from the pack to end up dead.

By Isaac's thirty-fifth attempt, he gives up after being forced back to the ground again. His body stays recumbent while we all watch him try to catch his breath.

I'm pleased he lasted as long as he did, but I still had a higher expectation on him. He could have gone a few more rounds before admitting to defeat. That's another reason of doing these obstacles. So they can boost their pain tolerance and not capitulate so easily. If they're to go up against trained hunters, they're going to need to be sufficient fighters.

While distracted by Isaac's defeat, Erica takes the opportunity to make a sneak attack on Derek. Jumping off the top of the train cart, she extends her fangs and claws and aims directly for Derek. Derek, however, is faster and pushes Erica to the ground, landing her alongside Isaac as both of them groan in pain now.

It was a vacuous action. She was heard from a mile away with all the ruckus she stirred. At least the stunt was creative.

"Does anyone want to try not being completely predictable?" Derek asks rhetorically, and that's exactly what Erica did. Standing up, she flings herself at Derek and shoves her tongue down his throat. Derek does't push her away at first, kissing her back for a minor second till he shoves her back to the ground again.

I was thrown off by the action, but I probably shouldn't be. Not only has she become arrogant, but her hormones have been out of control since the bite. She'd probably pounce onto anything she can get her hands on.

Derek wipes at his mouth, "That's the last time you do that."

"You asked for unpredictability, and that's exactly what she gave you. You also didn't seem to be complaining in the beginning either," I joke, which earns me a glare. I guess that smile from last night was a one time deal.

"Are we done?" Isaac asks as he tries sitting up as his face contorts to pain and coddles his arm closer to him, "'Cause I got about a hundred bones that need a few hours to heal."

Derek looks down at him with a sympathetic look and walks closer to him, grabbing his arm just to snap it in half. Isaac screams in agony from the torture Derek is inflicting, and I watch.

I'm not pleased with Derek's tactics one bit, but Isaac needs to learn that there are things worse than this in the world we're living in. Worse than his father. He needs to acclimate to the supernatural so that he can protect himself from people like the Argents. Otherwise he will wind up dead, and I would rather have Derek break his arms a hundred times before I allow an Argent to kill him.

"One hundred and one," Derek seethes. "You think I'm teaching you how to fight, huh? Look at me! I'm teaching you how to survive!"

He releases Isaac after his outburst that wasn't necessarily needed. Derek had already taken it far enough, and if he had continued to torture Isaac, I would have had to intervene. I know they need to be prepared to fight, but there is a fine line that should not be crossed this early in the stage of their transformation.