Chapter 3: Saving Isaac

"Derek!" a familiar voice yells, waking me out of my slumber.

The next day, I had done as Derek had asked by going back to school and watching Isaac. Only because Kol wanted me on my best behavior, which never happens, but it's understandable with him wanting me safe from Niklaus.

Isaac was exceptional company, considering he is a bit unsociable. He doesn't seem to have many friends, or none at all. But it's probably best so he can focus on the full moon that's tomorrow. Which seems to disarray Derek's schedule with all the running around he's been doing.

"Derek!" They yell again and I groan in annoyance, flipping the blanket off of me to see what all the ruckus is about.

Walking out into the room, I watch as Isaac comes into view searching for Derek with a worried expression. "What's wrong?" Derek asks.

"M-My dad," Isaac replies out of breath. "I think his dead."

My eyes almost pop out of my head as I register the words that came out of his mouth. I'm not entirely surprised that his father is  dead, more on the fact that someone had beaten me to it. I planned to kill him, without Derek knowing of course, but it would have been later in the future. Unless, Isaac was the one to do it.

He seemed fine at school earlier today, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have snapped and attacked him. After all, he is going through a transformation that interferes with his emotions. There's a probable chance that Isaac murdered his father.

Looking over at Derek, I can see his red eyes through the darkness as he moves towards Isaac in a calm manner, "What did you do?"

So, it's okay for him to kill someone, but if I do it it's the end of the world?

"That's the thing," Isaac says with fear laced in his voice. "It wasn't me." The look in his eyes told me he's telling the truth and my proud moment of him being the one to kill his father dissipated into thin air. I was really hoping that he acquired the revenge his father deserves, but Isaac doesn't have the personality of a killer. Nor the stomach to take a humans life.

"What did you do?" Derek repeats, but this time the question's directed towards me.

Did he really believe I had done it? I can see why he would, but he has been watching me like a hawk since I've been in town. And it's not like I have the time to go and kill anyone while babysitting his prodigies.

"Seriously?" I deadpan, but he continues to stare at me waiting for a straight answer. "No," I practically shout trying to make my point. He goes back to looking at Isaac, but jerks his head back in my direction, along with Isaac, after hearing 'I wish I did' under my breath.

"He deserved it," I shout again. "Why do we even care? It's not like he was a good person-. You know what, I'm going back to bed, you can figure this out yourselves." Derek rolls his eyes as I make my way back to the chair I had been sleeping in before being rudely interrupted. The only reason I was asleep before was to rid myself of Derek's presence. He can accuse me all he wants, but I won't have to take much more of this when Kol finally arrives and I can finally leave.

✵ ✵ ✵ ✵ ✵

When I awake for school the next morning, I completely ignore Derek, not in the mood for another argument with him. Properly dressing myself and grabbing a blood bag, I quickly leave, deciding to walk. I head for the lacrosse field, knowing there is practice before classes begin and that Isaac will be there. And after last night, I'll need to keep an eye on him to make sure everything goes as smoothly as yesterday's practice.

Sitting on the third row of the bleachers, I scan the field for the number 14 as they begin to line up for one-on-one shooting practice. I find Isaac standing behind Jackson, making him sixth in line. He seems a little jumpy, however, that's a normal trait for him.