Chapter 7: Lab Lizards

Standing outside of the boy's locker room, I patiently wait for Danny to leave the dark filled hallways and give me the opportunity to swoop in and grab Jackson. They have been here for a few hours after dark to get a workout in. Jackson more than Danny. On the outside, he covers his true emotions with an independent facade, while on the inside he aches for the power that Derek was supposed to give him.

I prefer to spend my night in another way, however, Derek has a hunch that the Kanima is Jackson. Since the moment we realized we are dealing with a human-sized lizard, all the clues point to him.

I distinctly recall a conversation that happened in the boy's bathroom the first day I met Jackson. He was bitten, but his body was rejecting the bite and his personality matches the description of a Kanima perfectly. However, Lydia is also a suspect since she hasn't taken to the bite Peter gave her. But we want to start with Jackson, and I wasn't going to pass up an opportunity to push him around. 

After hearing the showerhead turn on, I walk into the room, quiet enough for Jackson to not hear me approaching him. Once he reaches my line of vision, I see he is struggling to lift a weight bar. I watch for a second in amusement, but when it began to suffocate him, I make my way over to help relieve him of the pressure on his chest. Otherwise, Danny would have a new Porsche.

I would have continued to watch, but Derek made it clear he wants Jackson delivered to him alive. It's not like he is idolized around here, so a minor over-egotist incident wouldn't be such a bad thing. And if he is the Kanima, this will solve all our problems with both Jackass and the Kanima.

Rolling my eyes, I wrap my fingers around the sweaty bar and lift it off his chest. He gasps for the air his lungs itched to inspire as his eyes shut tight from the close to death experience, "Thanks."

"Anytime," I smirk and his eyes shoot open from the sound of my voice startling him. Before he can do or say anything, I speedily wrap my hand over to his throat, grasping it tight enough for him to lose the ability to yell for help, then drag him to Derek's vehicle.

When we arrive to the railroad depot, I pull Jackson down the staircase alongside me and Isaac waits at the bottom to grab the other side of him and helps me bring him further into the room. Placing him in front of Derek, Isaac and I hold him still and Derek takes a seat on the rotten chair to interrogate him, "What happened to you on the night of the full moon?"

"What? Nothing. Nothing happened," Jackson answers with animosity, but his heart skipped a beat as he spoke. He's hiding something.

"You're lying," I state. Giving Derek a nod, he slips on his leather gloves to begin his test with the Kanima venom.

Jackson starts to fidget, "No, wait, I can-I can prove it. I taped myself."

I laugh at his response, along with Isaac. "You taped yourself?" he asks in amusement.

"Yes. It was the full moon. And maybe while you were curled in the corner having an existential crisis about turning into a monster, I was preparing for the so-called gift your big, bad Alpha promised me, but what did I get? Nothing. You want proof? Let me get the video," Jackson attempted to bargain with a stern voice.

I had to restrain myself from ripping his head off by the way he talked to Isaac. And by the look Isaac is giving him, he seems to want to do the same.

"How about I propose an idea. If Jackson dies and the killings stop, then we have our answer. If they don't, well that's fine too," I proclaim and place my palm over his heart to prepare myself to rip it out. "It's a win-win situation."

Jackson places his attention on me and I can see the fear in his eyes. I know how to fight evil with evil.

"I actually like that plan," Isaac agrees, causing Jackson to panic further by believing his life is at stake.