Chapter 24: Follow My Lead

Bombs went off all over the city. The ground shook like hell was ascending and people started panicking. Plumes of smoke filled the air and the bar was instantly in a frenzy. But Jamie had taken their advice - none of the buildings came down.

Isabell yanked out her pistol. Now or nev--

Tracer was staring at her, wide-eyed. There was a little Junker boy who had tripped and was swarmed as people ran about, his mother shrieking as she tried to get to him.

"Go," Isabell told her quietly through comms. "The Junkers may be insane, but they aren't cruel."

Tracer Blinked so quickly Isabell couldn't track her movement. One second the boy was there, the next he was in his mother's arms, and the next, Tracer was standing next to Lucio. Both of them were looking at her. Waiting for her signal.

A touch of insanity never hurt anyone.

Isabell couldn't help the grin that broke over her face. She tried to stifle it - she was about to shoot people and she was grinning? - but she couldn't. She yanked her hair out of the ponytail and leapt up onto the bar, kicking over her shot glass and spraying alcohol everywhere. She fired her pistol - the plasmic bullets roaring as each exited the gun while Isabell prayed they didn't explode - into the air, and people started yelling even louder than they already were.

"The bar is mine!" she roared, and people stared in shock and confusion as they ran or attempted to not get trampled. "Everyone out or you get a bullet through the brain!"

"That's my girl." Isabell could feel Jamie's grin through the comms and her face echoed it with her own.

But people were still standing there and staring, so Isabell laughed and laughed and laughed, and started firing.

The gun heated in her hands as she shot, light blue plasma spraying everywhere, melting glasses and burning pieces of car and sending animals scampering for their owners. People stopped yelling and started screaming and there was a massive rush of Junkers bolting drunkenly for the exit to the plaza.

Isabell couldn't stop laughing. They looked hilarious. She fired into the air this time and brought down a low-flying bird by accident, as well as smashing a street lamp and bringing down a disco ball.

She frowned. There was a piece of glass in her leg. Probably from the lamp smashing.

She shrugged and kept shooting.

Oh, this was awesome.

Isabell slipped off the bench and smacked her head on one of the stools. She was instantly up again and ignored the trickle of blood down the back of her head as she ran towards the frantic crowd, laughing and spraying bullets above their heads, until the plaza was completely empty.

"Isabell!"

People. People, people, people, people, people. Honestly. All just idiots sometimes.

Isabell turned around to see Tracer and Lucio scouring the area.

Right. The location of the Talon base.

Isabell yanked the glass shard out of her leg, scowling at the pain, and Lucio quickly dodged over, and his harmonious song filled the air. The soothing sound made the blood stop trickling down her neck and sealed up the glass wound in her leg. Isabell offered a smile of thanks before pulling out some binoculars she'd been bringing to trade - but the mission had moved ahead so quickly that she hadn't had the chance. Now she was glad that she hadn't.

She pulled them over her face and turned up the zoom,  facing them toward the top floor of the steampunk masterpiece that was the Queen's dwelling. Through the balcony, into the room beyond.