Chapter 27: A Looooong Night

"I leave you alone for six hours. Six hours! I wake up, the alarms are going off, red alert is blaring across the facility and the next thing I know, you're all off on a plane adventure. Then Talon attacks and steals the most powerful weapon on earth, Isabell almost dies or gets mind-controlled getting an address for you and you get back here and tell me "It'll be okay?!"

Isabell had never seen Mercy like this. An ordinary Angela was nice and gentle, soft and happy. But this Angela scared her more than almost anything else. She was breathing heavily, her Valkyrie suit on and her Caduceus Blaster in hand, glaring at Winston, Tobjorn, Lucio and Tracer while Isabell stood awkwardly next to her, using her staff to seal up some of the bullet wounds she'd refused to let Lucio heal until he got some sleep while eating grapes. Jamie was pretending to clean his nails with a knife, doing his best not to look like he was eavesdropping.

"I can't believe you would do that! You lost Tayanna, you nearly got our newest recruit killed, you invaded a town and stole the property of an immensely powerful monarch and you put our entire operation in danger!"

"We had to take the address, Ang--" Tracer tried.

Angela cut her off. "You didn't even replace it with a fake! Don't you know what this might mean for Isabell if the Queen of Junkertown thinks that she stole something of hers?"

"No," Tobjorn muttered, and Isabell resisted the urge to laugh when Angela looked like she would shoot him and he flinched.

She threw her arms in the air exasperatedly. "I don't know what to do with you, honestly! And now you expect Isabell to go out and infiltrate a Talon base to use her as a Tayanna-detector!"

"I--" Winston protested.

"Don't give me that schiesse," Angela demanded and Isabell choked on her grape at the German profanity. She knew that when Angela swore she tended to do it in other languages because it made it feel  like less of an infraction, but this was way more awesome than she'd realized. "She is an incredibly valuable member of the team but do not treat me like a fool. She is your personal Tayanna-detector when you go in there and do not pretend otherwise."

There was a mumbled apology from all four of them and Isabell tried not to laugh. It didn't help that Jamie saw and was wiggling his eyebrows crazily.

"I need the bathroom," she gasped out desperately and fled the room, holding her breath. She was purple-faced by the time she reached her room but didn't trust herself to breathe until she closed the door and lost it completely.

After a few minutes, Isabell, still grinning, got up and pulled a can of soda from her bar fridge and sat down on the edge of her bed. The sun was just heading towards midday, and she leaned back, just wanting to soak it all up while everyone else sorted everything out without her.

Finally, a day to herself.

Jamison was generally just accepted now - he roamed the halls like anyone else. It wasn't like they had time to drop him off anywhere with all the shit that was going down, so he kind of... just existed.

Isabell slept for most of the day. The bed was incredibly soft and the gentle pulsing of the blue circlets on her bed kept her snoozing. She woke up at about three in the afternoon and, after groaning and moaning for a solid twenty minutes, forced herself to get up and start fixing her costume. It was pretty easy - just a few rips and tears that were sewn up with fat black stitches that fit perfectly into her suit's aesthetic. If you chose to wear something that looked broken, then when you broke it, it didn't look any different.

Once she was done, the sun was well and truly setting, and a knock came at the door.

"Bell? You in there?"