Chapter 25: Disorientation

"We're coming back in for you!" Winston said through the comms.

"Don't you fucking dare," Isabell panted, fighting the urge to retch as her vision swam. "I'm out here trying to save you guys. If you come back in I will actually destroy all of you."

There was a brief paused before Isabell rolled her eyes. That only made the street spin on its head and she tripped, barely managing to get back up. A bomb went off to her left from a grenade launcher and three bullets whizzed by her head as she scrambled to her feet and kept bolting. "Have you got the address?"

"Yes," Lucio told her. "It's safe."

"Okay," Isabell said, lurching to the left and retching. She was all out so only bile and spit went onto the ground now. Too sick to say anything else.

Alright. Just-- breathe. Okay. This was Smoko street. If she turned left, she'd get to Broker Street. Then another right and she'd be on Elizabeth road. It'd be a flat road with no obstacles and she'd be an easy target, but if she made it to the end, there was a small flat pipe which used to pump sewage out of the city. Now it was just old and empty - the perfect way out. And nobody would be able to follow her.

However if they landed a shot while she was crawling through she'd have a bullet up her ass - literally - and that wouldn't be very fun.

Especially if they got her tailbone and shattered her spine.

"Isabell! What the fuck?!" Jamie hollered into her comm device. "You're s'posed to be out of here!"

"Bad news," Isabell said breathlessly, careening around the corner like a drunk. "Talon knew we would come here. They used Annayat's energy to create these collars, and now there's twenty Junkers after me."

"Well that's shitty."

"Yeah. Well said. Worse, you remember what Annayat's energy does to me?"

"Ah. That would make it even shittier then, wouldn't it?"

"You could say that," Isabell said, vision teetering before her. Bullets whizzed over her head. "But listen, everyone. These collars, they're not to mess with our abilities. They're controlling their brain waves."

Winston sucked in a breath through his teeth, and Tracer said, "So like mind control?"

"Sure," Isabell rolled her eyes, but her headache shrieked in protest and the world spun. "Sure. Mind-control."

"But if they catch you--" Lucio cut in.

"Yeah," Isabell said deadenly. "Then I'm not on your side anymore. If they catch me--"

"They won't," Tracer snarled.

"If they catch me," Isabell repeated, "You get rid of me, alright? I don't stay unconscious for long and if they take control of me, then I will kill you. So you do it before I can, alright?"

"You're saying we kill you because a psychopathic team of idiots stuck a dog's collar around your neck?" Tobjorn spat. "No. I might not like you, Isabell, but I'd prefer for you to live by your hand and die by it too."

"You're suggesting I commit suicide?" Isabell said wryly, whipping around another corner. She was gaining ground, but barely. The last of the injection was wearing off and now she could barely hear. She was going to pass out soon.

"No!" Tobjorn sputtered. "I just meant--"

"I know what you meant," Isabell offered a grin in her words despite what was bearing down on her. "Are you at the plane yet?"

"Yes," Winston growled. "Where are you coming out of?"

"East wall," Isabell answered, her words slurred and broken. She was tripping over her own feet by now. If the Junkers got any closer, with that thing around their neck, Isabell was dead.