Chapter 30: Uniting the Halves

The corridors were still and quiet, the only sound the blaring klaxon which Isabell had long since tuned out. She'd been trying to stay determined, keep that perfect, unblinking focus. But now...

Sombra was incredibly powerful when she wanted to be. When she had to be. Isabell hadn't defeated her. God, Genji hadn't defeated her. The abilities that she wielded brought people to their knees. And yet whoever this fifth member of Talon was, they were able to defeat her so easily and almost collar her. Not only were they powerful enough to take her down but they were evil enough to prefer her as a silent slave than as a human being. That kind of ruthlessness scared Isabell.

It scared her a lot.

A pounding migraine had started up in Isabell's head. Even Mercy's adjustments couldn't hold up against so much concentrated radiation or energy or whatever it was forever. It wasn't Isabell's biggest concern just yet - she had run from twenty mindless Junkers while nearly passing out and survived. She could live through a headache.

"A fifth member," Lucio murmured. "She could surprise them from behind."

Isabell shook her head. "We have no way to warn them. Going after her would only compromise the mission. They're out there to give us time - so we have to use it."

Lucio frowned. "You're not suggesting--"

"We have to split up," Isabell told him. "I know what Winston said, but we're running on borrowed time right now and we won't have it for much longer. If we stick together, they could be dead by the time we find Tayanna." He eyes lit up with an idea. "If any of us find Tayanna, light your flare and hold it up to the smoke detectors. They're rusty, but they'll work. That's everyone else's cue to stop looking and run as fast as you can searching for an open door; where the person who found Tayanna will be. We'll still have two flares to use to signal the others once we get out."

"She has a point," Jamie leaned against the wall thoughtfully. "I mean, McFrogNugget, if you have a better idea, then by all means - let us know."

Lucio looked about to protest, and then sagged. "Fine. But you two be careful, alright? Use the flares if you run into Talon, as well, and we'll come running."

Before Isabell could even register it, she was wrapped in a hug from a glowing green Brazilian. She hugged him back. "Don't die, alright?"

"I'll do my best, ma'am," he grinned, pulling away.

Isabell pretended not to notice the fear behind his eyes. All the millions of things that could go wrong. She noticed, though - because those same thoughts had been going through her head as she tossed the idea of splitting up around in her head. She noticed because she cared just as much as he did about them - the team, Overwatch, and Jamie.

"Don't blow anything up that doesn't warrant blowing up," she warned him as Lucio skated off as fast as he could. Jamie just grinned at her and she sighed, rolling her eyes. "That warning had no effect, did it?"

"Absolutely none," Jamie told her, before he grabbed her in a sudden hug as well. Isabell was surprised as he said, "Thanks. I know I'm not serious often, but seriously, thanks. I wouldn't have found her without you."

"The comedian falls," Isabell laughed, but the laugh was empty. Devoid of the happiness it should have held. She very carefully ran a finger along a lock of his hair and for once he didn't object. "Jesus Christ, what do you put in there?" she objected. "It's like rocks!"

"Gunpowder and C4 extract," he grinned, shoving her away. "Good luck, dipstick."

"You too, idiot."

And before Isabell could worry, before she could tell him to come with her, before she could think about all the things that could go wrong, all the things that could get him killed, she sprinted off into the red-bathed corridors.

She couldn't stop. Not now. One foot after the other. One objective in mind. One chance. One shot. One hope.

They found Tayanna, or Overwatch fell for good. And the world fell with it.

Isabell's footfalls were silent as she moved along the corridors. Instead of opening every door she came to, she just pressed her head against. If her headache suddenly split her skull and made her throw up into the nearest plant-pot (why were those always around when you needed them?) then she'd know which room Tayanna was in. Talon wouldn't need to use a specialized containment shield to keep her energy in like Overwatch had, because they weren't affected by her radiation. So if there was any way to find Tayanna, it would be this way.

She thought all of these things to stop herself from thinking about everything else.

All the things she should have said and done, mostly. What she should have told Jamie. What she should have said to Lucio. How much more grateful she should have been to Winston. How much more time she should have spent with Genji. The apologies she should have said to Mei for being rude to her that day. The laughs she should have shared with Torbjorn. Everything she should have said or done or changed that she didn't.

But it was hard not thinking those thoughts when she was so perfectly, utterly alone.

Her headache grew, now a raging bull charging at the inside of her skull. She had to be getting closer. Once she found Tayanna, once she got out of this mess, she'd do all those things. Fix all of those things. Just one foot after the other. Breathe.

The air seemed thick and muggy. She was definitely getting closer - and Talon must've breached the wall between Tayanna and Annayat far more than before, because the symptoms just kept getting stronger and yet she couldn't see another door. Why couldn't she see the doors?

No doors. No doors.

The corridor started twisting. Not already - she couldn't be experiencing this much already. This was insane.

The building started pitching and Isabell couldn't walk straight. Her head was pounding, her stomach roiling and her hearing sinking.

Blood started trickling from her nose.

Shit.

That had never happened before.

Isabell felt like throwing up was a very real option, but she'd been so nervous that she'd barely eaten anything since yesterday.

She hit the wall and stopped for just a second, putting a hand to the side of her head. It came away sticky.

Blood was trickling from her ear as well.

She should light the flare. She couldn't keep going like this; she was going to get herself killed.

No. The mission must go on. Isabell had to find Tayanna.

Out of nowhere, a massive wave of nausea swept up and Isabell retched into a conveniently-placed plant pot. She was shaking, suddenly Tayanna's energy was so much more powerful, so much closer--

Isabell realized what it meant seconds too later.

The Irish voice was already whispering in her ear. The thoughts were already rushing from her head. The emotion was already flooding from her mind. The memories already being locked away.

The two halves of the collar united around her neck.

They flared bright green before sealing together like a welded piece of metal.

"Oh, you are something, aren't you, Isabell?" Moira murmured, standing up.

Who was Isabell?