Chapter 33: The Monster With No Name

His skin is softer than expected.

Irrelevant.

Bring him to us. Keep him unconscious.

He looks peaceful asleep. She wishes he'd have smiled, though - he was so pretty when he smiled. One of her favorite things in the world, that smile. The smile that made her smile.

Irrelevant.

Bring him to us. Keep him unconscious.

It seems wrong to drag him. So she carries him. She doesn't know why she does - but when she thinks of pulling him along the floor, though it would be easier, it makes her feel sick. And she must be in the best condition. The very best. Better than best. She is more useful in better condition.

She knows she is stronger than before. But before doesn't matter anymore. Now is what is important. The goal is important. The goal is vital, crucial.

Bring him to us. Keep him unconscious.

His eyes. They are her favorites too - but she can't see them now.

I wish I could see his eyes.

Irrelevant, irrelevant, irrelevant.

There is no debris left as she walks through the room. Every single piece of his leg, every last grenade she picked up and carefully placed in a bag. She has to bring all of him. He is incomplete without these pieces of him, somehow - some part of her knows that he would not be whole without them. And she must bring him, all of him. 

Bring him to us. Keep him unconscious.

The corridors are silent. Overwatch has fallen. They don't matter anymore. As long as they aren't a threat, they don't matter. As long as they don't get in the way of the objective.

The other one hadn't looked like this when she defeated him. He'd looked drawn, scared, even as she pulled his body to them. She remembers the mission she'd had then - get rid of him and wait in the Combinatrium chamber.

She wonders if he had felt scared when she defeated him.

Irrelevant.

But he had not looked like this. Perhaps that was relevant to the mission. He had not been so heavy, of course, because he was so much shorter. But he had also had eyes wide open, big dark eyes that looked at her as she pulled him away. J--

Who?

This one. His eyes are closed. He looks as if he were sleeping. Perhaps he in't fully unconscious, and that is why he looks different to the other one? No.

He would have cried for me if he was awake.

Irrelevant.

What is irrelevant? She can't remember.

Bring him to us. Keep him unconscious.

Yes. The goal. The mission. Relevant. Here, now.

He is moving a little. His heartbeat slowly getting faster. Waking up a little. She feels something when she looks at the blue cord around his wrists.

FEELING. IRRELEVANT. ERADICATE.

What had she felt?

What was feeling?

She doesn't know why she'd brushed the blood from his face. She doesn't know why she couldn't look at him the way she had left him. But she had to look at him, had to make sure she stayed with him, brought him to them - so she had fixed him.