The Ozh'esta

As per her morning ritual, Amanda stopped in the lobby to get her coffee before going up to the office. As she waited for it, she reminisced about the weekend.

Sarek had taken her out to dinner Saturday night, as he had told her he would do the day before. They had gone to a nice Italian place, and of course had a great time- even though they simply sat there talking. She enjoyed talking to him- he was extremely intelligent, and possessed dry wit, even if he would not admit it. He made her laugh- and people in the restaurant would turn to look at her each time, as if wondering how she could possibly be enjoying the company of an austere Vulcan. She ignored them- she was learning what he was really like, and it was nothing like he appeared. Sarek was anything but cold.

Afterward, he had dropped her off at her apartment- with a good night kiss, of course. She found that she was keeping count of them- that was number four. She was already looking forward to number five. Despite his previous inexperience, he was proving to be a superb kisser.

It made her wonder how good he would be at...

She stopped that thought before she could even finish it. They had barely started kissing- it was much too soon to think about anything more than that.

Her coffee was ready, and she picked up the cup, heading toward the lift. From the corner of her eye, she saw someone move to join her. She smiled as she entered the lift.

"Good morning, Amanda." Sarek said as the lift doors closed.

"Good morning." she replied. "You're here earlier than usual."

"I have a meeting with the director this morning, as it happens." Sarek replied. "The Vulcan High Council is...displeased. They wish me to advise the director on possible changes that need to be made."

"He's not going to take too kindly to that." Amanda pointed out. "Humans tend to not like being told what they should do- even if it's only a suggestion. He's going to think you're interfering."

"Thank you for your warning, but I am sure he will be more receptive to my interference than you think."

Amanda's eyebrows rose, but she didn't reply to that as the lift doors opened. He followed her silently down the hallway. When she neared the office that contained her desk, they both paused. Through the glass window that allowed them to see inside, they could see Karen; a white container on her desk as she packed away her items.

"Do you think I should talk to her about any of it?" Amanda asked, turning to look at him. "Maybe I can find out why she tried to get me into trouble."

"That is your decision, Amanda." Sarek said. He glanced over her shoulder at Karen. "I must go. Will you join me for lunch today?"

"It's not Friday." she said. He tilted his head.

"I know what day it is." he replied. She bit her lip, as if thinking about whether or not she should join him- but of course, she already knew her answer.

"I might be there." she said, looking up at him slyly.

"You are flirting with me." he observed.

"I don't know what would ever make you think that." Amanda said, raising an eyebrow and smirking.

"Now I believe you are being sarcastic."

"Sarcastic and flirtatious. What a great combination." she said, eyes shining with humor as she looked up at him. "See you at noon, Sarek."

He nodded once, and left her before the office door. She looked back into the office; Karen was now bending over, clearing out old data slates and PADDs from her desk drawers. Amanda opened the old-fashioned swing door and went to her desk, setting her coffee down.