Happy Birthday

Amanda knew that it was probably unwise to be so rapturous- yet she was. She knew that if something ever happened to them, and they separated for good- she would be crushed, because she had allowed herself to be so foolishly happy.

But at the moment, she did not care. She loved him, and she now knew that he loved her- and that he would preserve their relationship to the very best of his abilities, which she knew were great. That was enough.

She was unable to stop smiling the entire time they were in the hover-car as he took her home. She turned her face away from him, to look out the window- to try to hide her grin. Of course, he still saw it.

"You appear to be content." he said. She gave a short laugh.

"You really do have a way of understating things." she said. They did not speak for a few minutes, and then...

"I read a rather interesting article on Saturday." he said. She winced.

"Yeah, me too." she said, wondering what he would say about it.

"It has...brought several things to my attention. None of which you need concern yourself with at this moment, although I did wish to point out the positive aspect of the media being unaware of our reunion."

"Meaning we can go on dates without them butting in?" she said, looking at him with a smile.

"Perhaps. But, to maintain our privacy, I believe that we should be a little more...subtle."

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"I propose that we limit our meals to my residence, with occasional ventures elsewhere. And, when incapable of that, we can communicate via private transmission."

Amanda mulled that over, again looking out the window. She enjoyed going places with him- but if this would mean keeping the media in the dark for as long as possible...and she really didn't mind going to his place...

"Amanda?" he asked when she did not speak for a full minute. She turned back to him.

"That's acceptable." she said.

"Your pause indicates that you are not...fond of the idea." he said, glancing over at her.

"No, I'm fine with it, honestly." she said.

"You are sure? Amanda, I have no intentions of 'forcing you into submission'."

"I think maybe you took that article a little too seriously." Amanda said with a sigh. "I said I'm fine with it."

He settled into silence, and soon they were approaching her apartment. As always, he walked her to the door.

"I would prefer to come inside with you, however...I have a conference to attend tomorrow morning. My visitation to Vulcan has set me behind, and I have not prepared my notes."

"Kind of last-minute don't you think?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. "In fact, it's almost human."

"There is no need to insult me." Sarek said, and leaned forward, gently pressing her against the wall of the alcove that led to her door. His heat surrounded her as he bent his head to kiss her. She smiled against his lips.

"If your way of reprimanding me is a kiss, you do realize that I will only continue to insult you by calling you human?" she asked when he had pulled away.

"Then so be it." he replied. She reached up to stroke his jaws with her fingers.

"I would stand out here and insult you all night, then, if it weren't for the fact that I have classes tomorrow."