Experiment and Compromise

Sarek felt her nervousness from across the link- but he also felt her resolve. She was determined, and he could only surmise that she had every intention of gaining T'Pau's approval. He was unsure if that would be possible, and it would be illogical to hope for it, but a part of him wanted her to succeed.

When she came out of her bedchamber, dressed in the gown he had selected, he allowed himself a moment to admire her. He had personally selected the colors for her wardrobe that would complement her best, and he now knew he had chosen well. The deep-red of the soft fabric enhanced the rosiness of her lips and the faint, pink undertones of her skin; the golden embroidery brought out the flecks of gold in her brown eyes. He had been correct about her measurements, as well. The gown fit her perfectly, clinging in all the right places- which distracted him for 3.2 seconds before he regained control, tamping down on the portion of his brain that insisted on taking her every time he saw her.

"Why is she here?" Amanda asked, tugging at the high collar of the gown. "Did she come just to torture me?"

"As the Mother Elder of my clan, it is her right to meet you. I am sure she has come to appraise you, and determine whether you are worthy of her approval," he replied.

"And is it customary to simply show up without warning?" she asked as they began to walk side-by-side down the corridor.

"This home belongs to my clan. Although the main branch of the family- which is mine- holds the property, all other members of the clan are welcome at any time. T'Pau comes when she pleases, announced or not."

Amanda did not reply to that. Sarek glanced over at her, but she was looking straight ahead, deep in thought. She did not know how grateful he was that she was here- on Vulcan, with him. She had made a large sacrifice- much larger than any he had made. He knew she was going to find it difficult to adjust, and the fact that he left her alone all day only made it worse. If he had a choice, he would opt to spend more time with her- but he did not have that choice.

Humans were prone to loneliness, he knew, and he disliked the idea of her experiencing it. She had come to the planet- to his home- to be with him, and he was not there. She would never say as much, but he knew she was disappointed. Was there any way for him to make it easier for her? Was there anything he could do to please her?

There was an obvious answer to a part of that last question, but he had already told her he would not do that. Then again...Amanda had a way of making him do things he had sworn not to do. She had expressed a wish to be intimate with him the first night of her arrival...and there were plenty of reasons to justify it if they did. He must meditate on the possibility, despite his previous resolve on the subject.

They descended to the first level, and made their way to the gathering chamber. When they entered, it was to find T'Pau seated in a chair facing them. He had been deeply dissatisfied when she had arrived half an hour before and demanded to see Amanda, but he had complied with her wishes, knowing that it would be better to heed them now, rather than later.

"T'Pau, this is Amanda Grayson," Sarek said in Standard. He and T'Pau normally conversed in Vulcan- but out of respect for Amanda, he switched.

He observed Amanda as she stepped toward the Vulcan woman. Her face was curiously blank, and he realized that she was trying not to emote. This, while not as pleasing to him as her emotional conveyances, was an excellent decision on her part. T'Pau would have expected differently. He was even more pleased when she raised her hand in the Vulcan salute and gave the traditional greeting- in perfect, unaccented Vulcan.

"Dif-tor heh smusma, T'Pau," she said. Sarek recalled the first time she had attempted to give this greeting...that day seemed so long ago. He had been somewhat annoyed by her botching his native tongue at the time, but now he looked upon the memory with amusement.