Bite Marks and Surprises

"You're in a suspiciously good mood." Sarah remarked as Amanda sat across from her in the diner. They had agreed to meet there for lunch on Sunday afternoon for a post-birthday celebration.

"I had a good night's sleep." Amanda replied as she set her bag down on the chair beside her.

"Uh-huh." Sarah said, still looking at her disbelievingly. "Sure."

"What?" Amanda asked innocently as she picked up the menu before her.

"A few weeks ago you were practically brain-dead when we met up. Then there was that article two weeks ago yesterday, which explains the brain-deadedness. Now, you're fine again."

"Deadedness isn't a word." Amanda replied absently. "Do they have cheeseburgers here? I've been dying for one all day."

"You're evading. You two are back together, aren't you?" she accused.

"Who do you mean?" Amanda asked, still staring intently at her menu. Sarah reached out and snatched it away.

"Don't play dumb. You and the ambassador." she said as she glared.

"What if we are?" she asked, grabbing the menu back to peruse it once more.

"He broke your heart and you're just going to take him back?"

"You have no idea what happened between us." Amanda replied, slamming the menu down onto the table in irritation.

"Yeah...because you refused to talk to me about it. I waited for you to open up, but you never did. I didn't push it, because I knew you would tell me in your own time."

"Well, it's over now. Sarek and I are fine." she said.

"Fine?" Sarah asked, her voice rising slightly. "I read that article. You're going to be his possession? You're going to let him control you?"

"It's not like that!" Amanda hissed. "That article was a load of bullshit!"

That wasn't exactly true, but she didn't want the only person besides Sarek that she was close to, to disapprove of their relationship. In truth, the article had touched on a few things that were a problem for them. But she was confident that they would work them out as the issues came up.

"I dare you to deny that his 'logic' is a problem." Sarah said, leaning back in her chair and crossing her arms over her chest.

"I don't deny it- but we're working on it!" Amanda snapped. "Will you stop being so protective? I'm the older sister here, not you."

"By two years." Sarah scoffed. "And since Mom and Dad aren't here, I figured I would step in for them to make sure you're not fucking up."

"I'm happy, and that's all you need to know." Amanda retorted. "And don't even try to pull the 'Mom and Dad' card. Dad wouldn't like it no matter who I'm with, and Mom would accept it- like you should, instead of trying to find fault with my decisions."

Family, Amanda thought contemptuously to herself as a waitress approached to take their orders. Whether Vulcan or human, they try to interfere.

"The fact is," Sarah said, leaning closer as the waitress left again. "He hurt you once. Who's to say he won't do it again?"

"He won't." Amanda replied, hoping she was right. "Can you please just leave it alone? And be happy for me?"

Sarah hesitated before replying.

"Fine. But if he hurts you again, I'm going to kick his ass."

Amanda's lips twitched as she struggled to remain serious.