Distraction

It had only been three days since he left Earth, but Sarek was already 'missing' Amanda. He was certain that was only her own emotions echoing within him, but it did not change the fact that he did, indeed, miss her.

He had not yet met with the Council- the hearing was scheduled for Saturday evening. After that, the verdict would not be reached for several days yet, or it could be even longer- weeks. It was not preferable to wait so long to know his fate, but wait he must. The Council would decide in their own time, not his.

It was an interesting parallel, he thought. It had been over a month since he had been on Vulcan before, defending his relationship with Amanda. Now, he was not defending her- but his position as ambassador, although the situations were startlingly similar. He had secured her, and despite his current troubles, that knowledge filled him with peace and granted him a serenity that he had not felt in quite some time. She had accepted him...and one day, she would live with him in the very home he was now in- the mansion that had belonged to his clan for a thousand years. There was no one else he would rather share it with.

If he retained his post, it would be simple- they could remain on Earth throughout the first years of their marriage. But eventually...he would either be given another assignment, or it would be decided between them that it was time to attempt to conceive a child. Either circumstance would require them to live on Vulcan. The fact that she was willing to sacrifice her comfort to be with him, made him more determined than ever to make her happy. He knew only too well how difficult it was to live on an unfamiliar planet.

If he did not keep his ambassadorship, however...he was not certain how they would proceed. A year was a long time to wait, for the both of them- and communication would be limited to transmissions, which he was not pleased about. And even if they did manage to wait that long, he did not want to take her away from her life so soon...it would be much simpler if he kept his position, which would delay that inevitable event. Surely she wanted to spend more time on Earth before relocating to Vulcan.

He wanted to contact her now, yet he could find no logical reason to do so, other than he simply wished to ascertain her well-being and ensure that she was not experiencing difficulties with the results of the article on Earth. But he had seen her only three days before, and even if there was something wrong, he could do nothing to correct it from here. There had been no important occurrences since his arrival to report to her, so he could not use that as an excuse, either.

He sat in a chair in his bedchamber, his hands folded before him- trying to find a reason to justify the action he wished to take. Three days was not long at all, and it could be quite some time before he returned to Earth- if he returned. If he could not quell the longing to see her now, how would he handle it for that amount of time?

It was both fascinating and disturbing, how much she affected him.

He stared at the comm-console, and then finally made his decision. There was no reason for it...but only he knew that.

When nearly two minutes passed, and she had not answered, he leaned forward to disconnect- disappointed, but determined to try again at a later time. But just as he was about to end it, her face appeared on the screen.

"Sarek!" she said, slightly breathless, her cheeks flushed- as if she had rushed to the comm-unit. He noted that her hair was tangled and wet- she had been in the shower, and wore only a thin silk robe. This conjured inappropriate images of her in his mind, which he reluctantly stored away for later inspection.

"I have called at an inopportune time." he observed. "I can try again later, if you wish."

"Oh, no, it's fine." she said, settling onto the sofa and drawing her robe closer around her. He noted that she still wore the ring he had given her. He had not understood the need to give a piece of jewelry as proof of an engagement, but now he thought he might. It was a way to mark one's mate- much like Vulcan biting, only not as satisfying. "Have you spoken to the Council?" she asked.