Encounters

The event was scheduled in two weeks, and as it loomed nearer with every passing day, Amanda found herself growing increasingly nervous. Her previous confidence was dwindling as she realized how important this occasion would be. Many important people would be there- many important Vulcans, and not just the women of Sarek's past. She could not afford to make mistakes. She'd been having etiquette lessons with T'Shan for well over two months by now, and she was reasonably sure she had committed the rules and customs to memory.

Now, on the night of the event, those lessons did not help calm her nerves as she fussed over the pale blue gown she'd donned for the occasion.

"Calm yourself, Amanda," Sarek said as he entered her bedchamber. "Your anxiety is distracting."

"Don't tell me to calm down," she huffed. "This is my first attendance at a primarily Vulcan event."

She felt his amusement as he stepped up behind her to survey her reflection in the mirror.

"I see no reason for you to be anxious," he said.

"I'm going to have to struggle to remain as non-Terran as possible all night, around some of the most intimidating Vulcans on the planet," she said, now smoothing nonexistent wrinkles out of her gown.

"Many important figures will be there, but I see no reason to believe you will be unable to conduct yourself as expected," he said.

Amanda finally managed to calm herself. There was no reason to be anxious. She had learned as much as she could about Vulcan proprieties, and that was the most she could do. Getting nervous would only make things worse.

She shot a glare at Sarek, knowing he had sent those streams of thoughts to her. He raised his eyebrows in response.

"You look pleasant," he offered by way of consolation. She rolled her eyes as she turned back to the mirror to smooth down her hair, which she'd pulled back in a decidedly non-Vulcan bun. T'Shan had offered to assist her in putting it up in a traditional Vulcan style, but she'd flat-out refused. She'd seen those styles- and she thought they were ridiculous, although she'd never say as much aloud. She preferred simplicity.

"Pleasant," she repeated. "Thank you."

He stood there a moment, and she felt his hesitancy- he was always hesitant when he wanted to touch her in some way, but was unsure if it would be welcomed. She didn't understand why he was so wary of touching her- Pon Farr had been over with for well over a month now. She was comfortable around him again. There was no need for all this caution.

At hearing these thoughts, he finally gave in to his illogical desire, and wrapped his arms around her from behind, pressing his face against her neck and inhaling her natural scent.

"I do not understand your apprehension," he admitted. "You will not be the only human in attendance."

She turned in his arms to face him, and he rested his hands on her waist.

"That doesn't help," she said. "But thanks for trying," she added, standing on tiptoes to kiss him quickly.

"And there is a chance you will not meet T'Para or T'Nik," he added.

"You know," she said, placing her arms around his neck and cocking her head to the side. "I'm not nervous about that part. It's the rest of it- meeting dignitaries I don't know. In fact, I'm curious about meeting T'Para and T'Nik."

"Why are you curious to meet them?" he asked. She pulled away a little, to smooth down his richly embroidered tunic and straighten his collar- even though his appearance was already immaculately neat.