Ramifications

Neither of them had said more than a few short words since Sarek had come for her. Now, they entered his living room, and he shut the door for complete privacy.

"Would you agree to a chess match?" Sarek asked. Amanda stared at him.

"Sarek, now is hardly an appropriate time for playing a game." she said, crossing her arms over her chest. Sarek turned toward the board that sat on a small table.

"Chess enables me to focus when I am..." Sarek stopped. He had almost said 'upset'. He was becoming too accustomed to her ways of speech. "Discontented." he finished. He turned back to her.

"Fine." she said. "If it helps you..."

He knew it would. Chess required one to think logically- it made it easier for him to repress emotions and keep his thought processes clear while conducting a particularly difficult conversation, such as the one he knew they were about to have.

He seated himself in a chair, and she sat across from him. He considered for a moment, and made his first move on the board. Then, he spoke.

"You are not incorrect. This article presents a problem." he said.

"Everyone thinks you choked me, Sarek. 'Problem' isn't quite a strong enough word." Amanda said bitterly, and moved her knight.

"Perhaps not, but labeling the severity of the issue does not decrease it." Sarek replied. "And the fact that the readers will think I abused you is not the issue, either."

"Oh, it's not?" Amanda asked sarcastically. Sarek looked up at her from the board.

"It is not. The 'evidence' can be easily refuted if an investigation is begun. The real issue is how this will affect us afterward."

"I can deal with stares and whispers. It's you I'm worried about. And...if the article is proven wrong, how is it still a problem?"

Sarek found that he was filled with affection for her when she said she was worried about him instead of herself. He extended his hand, and their fingers met across the table in the ozh'esta. He shared the tender feelings before responding.

"One of the many things I have learned about humans since my arrival on Earth six months ago, is that they do not always believe logical evidence when it is presented to them. I am certain that, even if their suspicions are proven wrong, they will continue to think ill of me- and they will continue to consider you a victim. That image is sealed in their minds. They will not believe the truth when it comes out. This will not only foster negative public views on our relationship in the future, but it will also affect my diplomatic relations. I will no longer be trusted by Terrans.

"Although the High Council will know the truth about this situation, I will still have created negative publicity- not only for myself, but for Vulcan. I represent them, and my actions could damage the Federation's relationship with my planet- it does not matter whether I am guilty of the accusations or not. Because I have acted so carelessly, the High Council will undoubtedly be displeased."

"And what will happen if they're displeased?" she asked, and withdrew her fingers from his to sever the empathic link. She swallowed hard, her eyes lowered- refusing to look up at him.

"I do not yet know. As humans say...only time will tell." Sarek replied. "I believe that they will receive word of the editorial tomorrow- and then they must make a decision. I do not know when they will contact me, although I am certain that they will. As for what they will decide...I cannot speak for them, and I will not even attempt to form a hypothesis."

"So basically, you're not going to do anything about this until they get involved?" she asked slowly, brow furrowed.

"There is nothing I can do. It is your turn, Amanda." he said, gesturing to the board. She sighed heavily, and made a hasty move.