Logical Decisions

"Osu Sarek, there is a transmission awaiting you." T'Shan said as she stood in the doorway of Sarek's exercise and meditation chamber. He opened his eyes. He was sitting cross-legged on a mat on the floor, wearing only black cloth pants.

He had been meditating much more than usual ever since he and Amanda began 'dating'.

"I presume it is from Vulcan."

"It is." she replied, not looking up at him. Sarek was sure that she knew what this call pertained to. She knew very well who he was with when he mysteriously disappeared on Friday or Saturday nights. She had said nothing to him, of course, but he knew she did not approve.

He gracefully rose from his position and turned to her. "Redirect to my bedchamber. I do not wish to be disturbed."

"Yes, osu." she said, and disappeared. He watched her go, and then retrieved his tunic.

It was the Sunday after the news articles appeared- he had expected to be contacted sooner. The news must have been slower than usual to reach Vulcan. Or perhaps the Vulcan that he knew awaited him had been formulating a proper speech of censure.

He left the chamber, and went down the hall to his bedroom. Then he sat on the divan next to the doors that led to the balcony, facing the communications console.

"Open transmission." he commanded the computer. The blank screen was soon filled with the image of an austere Vulcan woman, much older than Sarek.

"Dif-tor heh smusma, T'Pau." Sarek greeted his aunt.

"Sochya eh dif, Sarek." T'Pau replied. She wasted no time. "I have been asked by the High Council to speak to you on their behalf. I would have declined, if I did not have my own words to add to theirs."

Sarek did not reply- he, as well as every other member of the S'chn T'gai clan, knew never to speak to their matriarch when she was speaking, unless she asked him a direct question.

"News has reached Vulcan that I find to be disturbing. Has your logic failed you, nephew?"

"My logic is sound, T'Pau." Sarek replied.

"Then explain to me why there is a picture of you holding the hand of a human in an intimate way." she demanded.

"There was a crowd- we may have been separated if I did not take her hand." Sarek knew his reasoning was weak...but it was the only logical reason he had for it.

T'Pau eyed him, black eyes cold. He knew that she saw the fragility of his explanation.

"You have not addressed the speculation that you and this human are a couple." T'Pau finally said. He blinked- surprised that she had allowed his reply past her without question.

"I do not deny that we are courting according to human tradition." Sarek said.

"Why are you courting a human?" T'Pau asked sharply.

"As Vulcan's ambassador to Earth, it is only logical that I learn more about Terrans. This is best accomplished by closer contact with one."

"And you believe pre-mating rituals are the best way to accomplish that." T'Pau stated. He inclined his head to show his agreement. "Do you plan to bond with her?"

"That depends on many variables. Humans are...strange, when it comes to the selection of mates. Their courtship rituals may last months before a decision to marry is made- and then, only if they find their mate acceptable. I find the entire process difficult to adjust to, but if I am to bond with her, I must complete this series of trials to determine our compatibility. Often, this requires that I do things I would not normally do- but always with logical reasons."