Betrayal

Amanda's shoes crunched against the dry, brittle grass as she made her way across the quad. Her hands were balled into fists at her sides and her lips were pressed together. She was seething with fury- and yet she was also hurt. Far more hurt than she had thought possible.

Sarek had told her earlier not to go.

"You are not in an emotional state in which you should confront her, Amanda," he'd said as she paced back and forth across the hospital room with her arms folded and eyes flashing. "You will only regret it later. You do not possess full knowledge of the situation. It is likely that she had no part in my attempted murder and you will make things worse with her than they currently are."

But even as he said it, she knew what he was really thinking. It came as no surprise to him whatsoever that Sarah was among his detractors- she had expressed dislike for him before. He truly did not think she had a part in the assassination plot but a deep resentment was beginning to settle within him. Not because she'd protested against him along with hundreds of others- but because of what this was doing to Amanda. She had betrayed her sister- her own flesh and blood.

Amanda knew that as always, he was only concerned about her welfare- both physical and mental. It had been an emotional roller-coaster for her the past few days and this was the last thing she needed- yet another problem in her life.

But despite Sarek's warnings, she was now here.

He didn't know this- not yet. Speaking to the media was one thing- but this was her own personal business and he had no say in what she did. He knew as much, and therefore she felt no guilt this time for going against his wishes.

She'd asked T'Shan to wait in the hover-car but had brought two of her guards with her- more to appease Sarek than for protection. He would likely be more discomfited by her walking alone across a college campus at nighttime rather than by her confronting Sarah. When she told him the next day- and she had every intention of telling him- at least he would not have that to worry about. Not that Vulcans worried, according to him.

Bell Hall loomed out of the shadows- the windows brightly lit and glowing in the darkness as they approached. It was at the very end of the seniors' last quarter and they would be graduating in just a few days. Judging by the hover-cars parked outside and the loud music making the glass windowpanes vibrate in their frames- they were celebrating the end of final exams.

Under other circumstances, Amanda would have felt a pang of regret. She should have been one of the seniors celebrating- but she doubted she would be graduating with them. She'd already finished her final courses and exams a week before and didn't know how much longer she would be on Earth- she could be gone in a few days for all she knew.

But this was not other circumstances. Any regrets that she may have had about not spending the night partying with college acquaintances were far from her mind as she climbed the stone steps leading up to the entrance.

Upon opening the door, the volume of the music struck her full-force. It vibrated in her very bones, pounding against her eardrums so she could hear nothing else. It had been months since she'd heard anything like this and it rattled her senses.

The common room was full of drunk students lounging on the sofas with classic beer and Romulan ale- which she wasn't even going to ask how they'd gotten, considering that it was illegal. Still more stood around laughing, talking or even dancing- if it could be called dancing. It was more like sex while standing up with clothes on. An Orion girl was surrounded by a group of men in a corner- no doubt turning on the old charm.

Amanda didn't see Sarah anywhere. She turned on the spot, craning her head over the crowd- checking every corner of the room. Still no sign of her.