2. Expect The Unexpected (part 2)

"So you're just going to approach Damian and slap him, without saying anything." my best friend summarized, squinting her teal blue eyes at me. 

When she phrased it that way, it really did sound stupid. 

We were in the cafeteria, seated at our usual rectangular table, near the window.  There were only six minutes left until the Physics lesson began, and after that, I could finally go home to my warm blankets and fluffy Persian cat. 

"You don't know him or what he's capable of. He might hit you back." she continued, fiddling with the cuffs of her pink shirt. She had a good sense of style, elegant and practical.

"Well, essentially, yes." I affirmed with an involuntary tint of bashfulness, biting the inside of my cheek.

 I knew that Ellie was right and my plan was horrendous, but what else could I do? It's not like you could slap someone with kindness or in a nice way. Besides, I was hoping that despite the rumours, Damian was a decent guy who wouldn't raise his hand upon a girl. Unless the rumours were true, and he did kill Monica. Then I'd be in great trouble. 

Monica Anderson was found dead three months ago in her own bathtub. When her cousin found her,  water had been running down the stairs and the opulent house had been flooded. Monica had suffered a traumatic brain injury, which meant that after repeated powerful blows to the head, her skull was almost fractured. But that wasn't the cause of death; the cause of death was asphyxiation. The killer had choked her and then took her to the bathroom, placed her in the bathtub, turned on the water as if to stage her drowning and left. There weren't any fingerprints or clues that could lead to the killer. The neighbours didn't see anyone leaving her house that afternoon. 

Everyone was a potential suspect. Her cousin, Devon, who was one year older than us, the one who found her; her boyfriend, her friends, the students she didn't get along with. Her parents were abroad, in Spain, when the crime happened. Apparently, everyone had an alibi -- Devon was at the Driving School, her boyfriend was babysitting the four-year-old daughter of his aunt, the rest of her friends had witnesses that confirmed their whereabouts. 

As for the students she didn't get along with, the list wasn't too long. At least, not that it was known of. There were only two boys on that list: a sophomore who had had a crush on her since 8th grade, and a student from her class whom she often argued with. She used to make fun of him all the time, and he did too, in return. They were always seen shouting at each other; more like Monica was shouting at him, to which he responded with sardonicism and rancour. That student was the only one who didn't have a plausible alibi. He claimed to have been at home at the time of the murder, but there was no one to support his assertion. 

That student was Damian Belfort. 

Before Monica's death, he used to be admired by plenty of girls. He was the untouchable and cold stranger of St Felix. He didn't have many friends, but he exceeded most of the school's subjects, and was praised by the teachers. Perhaps the fact that his father owned the Academy played a part too. However, after the murder of Monica Anderson, Damian became something entirely different to society. No one dared to say it to his face, but everyone started accusing him of the girl's death when one day, the police came to the Academy and asked for him. They didn't have anything in their possession that could incriminate him, but their request to interrogate Damian sufficed to spread a wave of terror and suspicion towards him. I guessed that moment changed his life completely. 

Guilty or not, Belfort's reputation was tarnished. Forever.

I shrugged my shoulders pensively. I wasn't going to back out, no matter how hard Ellie would try to convince me. I wasn't going to be kicked out of the Elite Group because I couldn't accomplish a virtually simple task. My pride and competitive spirit wouldn't let me, even though I was nervous and I didn't want to do it, whether Damian deserved it or not. I already knew how bad I'd feel afterwards. I wasn't a violent person, and not once did I believe that violence was the answer. 

Yet I was going to hit someone without any reason. 

I was brought back to reality by Ellie suddenly grabbing my hand and gesturing towards the door with her head. I frowned and turned subtly to the direction she motioned. 

Damian Belfort just entered the cafeteria.