7. Everything, Everything Red

"I'm not going." Gabrielle announced, caressing my furry Persian cat, that was purring on the edge of my bed.

It was the night of Devon's party and she was at my house, watching me with a smile while I twirled in front of the mirror, trying to find the perfect outfit. I sighed and put my black dress back in the wardrobe.

"You know that I'm going to cajole you eventually, right? What about this one?" I asked, gesturing to a red sparkly dress. I noticed her hesitant look. "Too formal?"

She nodded silently. Her light copper hair was secured in a messy bun, and she had a simple but pretty blue sweater and dark blue jeans. She looked fresh and radiant, like the early autumnal sun.

"Take the off the shoulder white sweater and the black velvet skirt." she suggested.

I listened to her and three minutes later, I was finally ready for the party, with curled hair, a shower of perfume and red lipstick.

"Now it's your turn." I clapped my hands excitedly, turning to Ellie.

"I told you, I'm not going. I'm not even talking to Devon and I don't want to be the only sober teenager in there."

"There's a first time for everything." I encouraged her with an angelic smile. "Please? I'm sure there will be a lot of sober teenagers. Our whole class is going, and it will be fun, and we will dance..."

She shook her head in defeat, a smile forming on her lips.

"As long as I get to wear your pink dress." she conditioned, getting up from the bed. "I better not regret this."

***

We arrived at the party thirty minutes late, and found the place filled with what seemed to be a third of the academy. He organised the party at his parents' house, since it would be inappropriate to host it at the Andersons. The house had three floors, a mini gym, a gigantic pool and a minibar on the first floor. It was swarming with students of approximately our age, and the electronic music thumped in my eardrums. Some were eating, others were drinking, dancing or just talking on the couch, on the porch outside, everywhere.

"I officially regret this." Ellie declared with a critical, comical frown.

I chuckled and took her by the shoulders, raising my voice to an octave for her to hear me.

"Hey, remember what we talked about? We're here for us. To have fun, to break free, to relax. If you want to go back home, that's fine."

Ellie looked behind me with an intent gaze, and I could see something change in her eyes: a flicker of interest or curiosity lightened up in her blue hues. I wanted to ask her about it, but just then she answered confidently:

"No, you're right. I'm always so tensed up because of school. Let's have fun."

"I could kiss you right now!" I exclaimed joyously, grinning.

"Do not. You have enough history with kissing already." she bantered with a fake patronizing expression and tone. It was her turn to chuckle at my vexed frown and place her hands on my shoulders in an assuaging gesture. "Break free, Rosie!"

"I hate you." I chaffed playfully, throwing my hair over my shoulder.

I spotted Paul chatting to some other two boys, a glass of something that looked like beer in his hand. Avery and her gang, Devon or Liam were nowhere to be seen. "Hey, let's ask Paul where the others are." I told my best friend, but she seemed to have something different in mind.

"Yeah, you go ahead, okay? I've just noticed Eliza and Steven over there." she motioned with her head in the opposite direction, to our classmates.

"Sure." I said, and we parted our ways.