21. Requiem For Blue Dreams

it's a cruel and random world, but the chaos is all so beautiful.

hiromu arakawa

I stared at the unfinished letter, reading it over and over again. Judging by the inquisitive look on the detectives' faces, they were waiting for a response.

"You can't possibly believe this. She must have written it after our quarrel at school. She was blinded by rage and wanted to get revenge on Damian and me. If she really believed I killed Monica, she would've come to you and tell you about it, not write a letter and then forget about it." I defended myself, adopting Damian's calm and composed timbre.

"Are you referring to the quarrel about the Elite Group?" Nichole asked, glancing at her notebook. "Damian wanted to join, but she was against it?"

I nodded. Detective Elliot furrowed his brows and declared with a stentorian voice:

"Let me tell you the way I see it, miss Ingold. Avery was becoming a liability to you and Damian. She disliked him and thought he murdered her friend, and then you came into the picture, and she saw you as his accomplice. She began to accuse you both of Monica's death and found proof of it and that's when you knew you had to get rid of her. So you slipped the drug into her drink, or perhaps Damian did, and you left the party earlier, because it would have been extremely suspicious if you had left right after her and she turned out dead the next day. Avery was feeling drowsy and she went home, you followed her and..."

"That's enough!" I exclaimed, anger immersing every cell of my body. I leapt to my feet, feeling the blood boil in my veins. "I'm not listening to this nonsense. You have absolutely no right to accuse us. The real killer is out there, while you're here, wasting time on stupid fictional theories based on an unfinished letter." Indignation enhanced the lump in my throat and my eyes welled up with tears of frustration and loss and fury.

"An unfinished letter that claims you two are the killers of Monica Anderson. Avery had proof of it..." detective Carter countered defensively, but once again, I didn't let him finish.

"What proof?!" I shouted, making Nichole jump slightly. I was out of line, but I didn't care. I was engulfed by utter wrath, that he could come up with such allegations and make me feel guilty for something I didn't commit. All the emotions that I held back hit me like a tidal wave, coming to the surface violently.

"Lower your voice, miss Ingold." detective Robbins warned me, offering me an understanding but stern look.

"Search for evidence all you want, but there isn't any. Because we didn't kill Monica. We didn't kill Avery. Why is everyone pining the murders on us?" I asked them, but as I expected, I didn't receive any answer. My vision blurred because of tears, and they began to roll one by one on my cheeks. I couldn't stop them anymore. "Why?" I repeated, increasing my tone with an octave. "She was my friend, for God's Sake. No matter what, she was still my friend. I just found out that my friend is...dead..." my voice cracked because of emotion, and I let out a sob of despair, beginning to tremble slightly. "..that my friend is dead today. And you're..." I trailed off because of my wobbly voice. I took a deep breath, wiping the tears from my face. "...accusing me of her murder. What kind of...detective are you if you can't see that we're innocent?"

Nichole's blue eyes filled with compassion. Carter watched me with a surprised expression, taken aback by my sudden outburst. I always had a rule: never cry in public. But I was bawling my eyes in front of them now and I couldn't care less. That was how I felt. Tears didn't make you weak; emotions didn't make you weak. They made you human.

The detectives shared a tacit look. They got up simultaneously.

"It's better we took a break." Nichole said. "We understand how hard this is for you, but we're just trying to discover the truth. We didn't mean to hurt you, Rosabel. Do you want some water?" she asked politely.