18. Of The Night

Never before had I eaten such delicious pancakes. We lolled on the bed, side by side, eating them in silence while watching Home Alone.

"So he eats." I remarked whimsically, licking the chocolate off my fork.

"Of course he does. He eats a lot." he smirked.

"That'd be a hard guess. You don't look like it. Boys and their high metabolism." I jested.

"I tend to forget to eat at times. But when I remember, I eat a lot."

I raised my eyebrows at him.

"You tend to forget to eat at times." I repeated incredulously, widening my eyes. "And meanwhile, I already know what I'm having for dinner when I wake up. How often is at times ?" I asked him with a concerned look.

"Not that often. Sometimes I skip breakfast, other times dinner. It depends." he told me casually, as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

I gawked at him, almost dropping my fork.

"What? How on earth are you breathing right now?!" I exclaimed, frowning at him.

He found my expression funny and gave a euphonious laugh.

"What do you mean? I'm perfectly healthy."

"Excuse you, mister. You may think you're perfectly healthy, but skipping meals isn't healthy at all. Especially not breakfast." I apprised him in an academic tone. "What's your excuse for skipping meals?"

He turned his head towards me with an enigmatic glint of his eyes. His long, black lashes made his hues appear even darker and my heart fluttered for a second because of his vehement gaze.

"I can't keep someone off my mind."

I almost felt a surge of electricity, like a bolt of swift lightning that etched through me. I bit my lower lip, unsure of what to say. Warmth rose to my cheeks and I changed the subject:

"Does he dance?" I asked him suggestively.

"Nope." he enunciated. "But she does. She dances perfectly."

"How would you know?" I laughed, trying to shake off the bashfulness that took over me. I picked up my fork, taking another bite from the pancakes.

"The school dance. Two years ago, on the 24th of December."

I frowned, trying to recall that ball. Indeed, all the students who had taken dancing classes that time had prepared a Christmas dance, and I was in the front row.

"Oh my God!" I cried out joyfully. "You approached me afterwards and told me I was a really good dancer. Was that...that was the first time we met, wasn't it?"

"It was. I thought you wouldn't remember. Although it's hard forgetting those outfits. They were hideous." he grinned.

I took a strawberry from the plate and tossed it at him lightly. He took it from the bed and chuckled, watching me with an amused expression:

"Did you just throw a strawberry at me?"

"You deserved it. Not the strawberry though." I quipped, snatching it from his hand and eating it. "But all the other strawberries. Promise me you won't skip any more meals?" I coaxed with a wishful smile.

He watched me thoughtfully, pronging a slice of banana.

"If you promise to remind me not to skip them." he smiled in return. "You remind me of Joe sometimes."

I snickered, propping my chin on the back of my hand.

"Is that why you don't get along with him?"