25. Last Judgement

we will open the book. its pages are blank. we are going to put words on them ourselves. the book is called opportunity and its first chapter is new year's day.

edith lovejoy pierce

__________

The festive smell of scented candles and food filled my house once again, but it wasn't enough to stifle the melancholy that roamed over us, death's shadow still lingering in the corners, waiting patiently to strike again. I had a sense of foreboding that I couldn't shake. This New Year was nothing like the rest; we were seated at the table and dining as usual, but I felt strange, as if my body belonged to someone else and I was just a marionette.

And whilst my family was acting as if nothing had happened, the Halloways were mourning the death of their daughter. Paul, her boyfriend, was probably taking a trip down memory lane, keeping Avery alive in his mind. And the Belforts were trying to put all differences aside and celebrate (not New Year's Eve though; most likely, their unexpected reunion, no matter how short it was.)

"Rosie?" my father called out, breaking me out of my trance. "There's someone who wants to see you."

My heart jumped upon hearing that, a sliver of hope blossoming inside me. I straightened my champagne-coloured dress and leapt to my feet, but the person who came inside wasn't the one I expected.

It was Devon, holding a box of chocolates and in another hand, a beautiful gift, wrapped in red sparkling paper. He greeted us and offered my mom the box of chocolates. I was surprised to see him. He was dressed in an elegant suit, his golden hair catching the light, and his chin had grown a subtle designer stubble, that suited him, but at the same time, made him look more mature. He approached me with his conqueror smile and kissed my cheek softly.

"Happy New Year." he congratulated me, handing me the gift. For the first time, I didn't discern any whiff of cigarettes. Maybe he had given up smoking?

"Happy New Year." I responded, taking the box. It wasn't heavy, and I was already dying of curiosity to see what was inside. "Thank you, but you didn't have to. I don't have any gift for you." I admitted awkwardly.

"A hug will suffice." he chuckled. "Can I talk to you for a minute?" he added more seriously.

"Of course." I nodded, beckoning him to follow me. I lead him to my room and closed the door after he got in. I placed his gift on the table as he sat on the bed. His eyes wandered over my body for a moment.

"You look exquisite." he complimented me.

I sat next to him, tracing my fingertips over the sparkling straps and leaves on my dress.

"Thank you."

"I just...I wanted to make things right between us. A new year is beginning and I didn't want to end this one badly." His tone was gentle and he placed his hand over mine, making me look him in the eye. I wondered whether his intentions were purely friendly or there was something else hidden in his woeful grey hues. "I lost my cousin four months ago. I lost my friend six days ago. I don't want to lose you, ever."

"I promise not to die any time soon, then." I laughed without mirth, tilting my head to the right.

"I'm serious, Rosabel. I want to put our differences behind us and give us a chance."