𝟬𝟯. 𝗯𝗲𝗹𝗰𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘀𝗹𝘂𝗴𝘀

( 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬 )

iii

iii. belching slugs

Matilda spent most of her time over the next few days to herself. She was still reading the book that her dad had bought her from Flourish and Blotts. A biography on Merlin. There were a lot of them, none of them like the other, and none completely accurate, but they were still entertaining, and if she looked close enough, Matilda was usually able to find a sliver of truth inside the page full of tiny words.

Still, Padma would occupy the seats beside Matilda when they were in class. They spent meal times together, and with Luna, who began to fit in better with the roommates. Padma and Cho still fought late into the night, but when they started, Matilda would usually escape to their common room or the library. Sometimes Luna would follow and other times she wouldn't. Outside of her roommates, Luna had started making other friends. Which Matilda thought was nice, because Luna sometimes could talk... for hours... without a break.

This morning Matilda woke early. The sound of a slamming door jarred her from sleep. It'd been Luna leaving for breakfast, no surprise. It wasn't likely she meant to, but she had a horrible habit of slamming doors behind her.

Matilda squinted at the window. There was a thin mist hanging across the pink-an-gold sky. She'd planned to sleep in since it was Saturday. Though, now that she was awake, she couldn't understand how she would have slept through the racket the birds were making.

After her morning shower and drying her hair, Matilda got dressed. She put on an oversized pink sweater, she couldn't remember where it'd come from, likely from Harper's closet. Over it, she pulled on a green, velvet overall dress and slipped into black tights since from outside her tall window, it seemed it'd be a bit chilly out this early in the morning.

When she finished buckling her black mary-jane shoes and tying her hair back into a braid that fell down her back, Matilda left the room, shutting the door quietly behind her. She stopped in the great hall for only a moment to get a bowl of fruit before heading outside to sit on the highest stand that overlooked the Quidditch field.

It was about time for them to start practicing but Matilda didn't mind. Despite not liking the sport or going to any of the games last year, she didn't mind them practicing as she read. It offered her a nice kind of background noise.