𝟬𝟴. 𝗰𝗵𝗿𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗺𝗮𝘀 𝘁𝗿𝗲𝗲 𝗹𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁𝘀

( 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬 )

viii

viii. christmas tree lights

The double attack on Justin and Nearly Headless Nick turned what had once been nervousness into real panic. Curiously, it was Nearly Headless Nick's fate that seemed to worry people the most. What could possibly do that to a ghost? People began to wonder what terrible power could harm someone already dead. Not even Matilda could fathom an answer... yet.

When the time had come for Holiday, there was almost a stampede to book their seats on the Hogwarts Express so that the students could go home for Christmas.

"At this rate, we'll be the only ones left," Ron had said, watching the students line outside the Great Hall, preparing to depart from the school – to run away from the dangers that lurk inside it.

Matilda rolled her eyes, "Us, Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle, and Pansy," she said enthusiastically. "What a jolly holiday it's going to be!"

The other students – her peers whispered with enthusiasm and Matilda watched them longingly, wishing that she had not agreed to stay behind for Holiday. She'd miss watching Christmas sitcoms with her dad. And snuggling with her mum on Christmas Eve night. She'd miss watching her youngest brother, Finn, opening his gifts and the homemade cookies, and the gingerbread house decorating that always caused an argument between her and Harper.

But, Crabbe and Goyle, who always did whatever Draco did, had signed up to stay over holidays with him, as did the awe-struck pug-nose Pansy Parkinson. And Matilda had found another silver lining – an empty library. She wouldn't have to worry about the hushed whispers or giggling behind the endless rows of books. The room would be empty. Matilda would have it all to herself.

Other students still passed by them on their way to the Entrance Hall. One stopped, and a familiar, annoyed sigh sounded. Matilda turned, facing her older, and much taller, sister.

"You're absolutely sure you want to stay here for the holiday?" asked Harper, again, as she's been doing all week.

Matilda nodded, "Yeah," she lied. "I'm sure."

"Fine."

Harper looked at her little sister, knowing she was being lied to, but she decided to say nothing. Once Matilda had her mind set on something there was nothing nobody could do to change it. And, Harper wasn't going to risk missing the train to try and do so.