𝟭𝟬. 𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗹𝗲𝗻 𝗱𝗶𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗲𝘀

( 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬 )

x

x. stolen diaries

Matilda stared at Padma Patil standing over her. She was bundled in her covers, stifling a yawn as the annoyed eyes of Padma stared down at her. Annoyed and sleepy. Matilda furrowed her eyebrows, wondering what she could have done to warrant such a look. She couldn't have been talking in her sleep. Matilda knew she didn't do that... she'd even once recorded herself while sleeping over the course of two weeks to make sure that she wasn't sleep-talking, too afraid she might be giving up secrets when her brain was asleep.

"What are you the night stalker?" Matilda's voice was tired and raspy as she pulled her covers tighter and turned away to lay on her side, facing the wall.

"You have a visitor," said Padma, short and annoyed.

The light had barely begun to show through the once-black sky. The moon was still shining. Shiny drops of dew slid down the glass-paned window. The sky had just started turning that white-blue shade it turns as the night sky slowly starts to fade out.

It was early. Barely morning time at all.

"Harry Potter is here to see you," Padma said, rolling her eyes. "And he isn't taking no for an answer..." Matilda grew even more confused, watching Padma turn back around and crawl into her own bed, snuggling deep under the covers. "Trust me, I tried."

Matilda lay there a moment longer. The temptation to close her eyes and snuggle deep into her warm bed was strong. Surely, Harry would take the hint and leave.

But Matilda did none of that. Instead, she threw her covers aside and welcomed the cold morning air with a scowl. Her bare feet padded across the wood floor and to her chest of clothes. Still tired, she picked the first outfit from the top of the messy pile that she found.

She dressed in a deep red, nearly maroon-colored corduroy overall dress that stopped just above her knees. She pulled on a pair of black tights and paired the dress with a multi-colored, striped turtleneck. And before leaving her room, Matilda braided her hair, tying it off with a pink ribbon at the end. It wasn't the best braid she's ever done, but it'd do since she was pulled from sleep hours before she needed to be.

"This better be good, Potter," she said, just as soon as she pulled the wooden door from her Common Room open.

"You were right, Tilly," he turned from where he'd stood staring at the winding staircase to face her. His eyes were wide but the dark circles beneath them told her he'd gotten even less sleep than her.