COCKROACH

. . .

"He sent me this," Hermione said, holding out the letter.

Matilda took it. The parchment was damp, and enormous teardrops had smudged the ink so badly in places that it was very difficult to read.

Dear Hermione and Matilda,

We lost. I'm allowed to bring him back to Hogwarts. Execution date to be fixed. Beaky has enjoyed London. I won't forget all the help you two gave us.

Hagrid

"They can't do this," said Harry. "They can't. Buckbeak isn't dangerous."

"Malfoy's dad frightened the Committee into it," said Hermione, wiping her eyes. "You know what he's like. They're a bunch of doddery old fools, and they were scared. There'll be an appeal, though, there always is. Only I can't see any hope. . . Nothing will have changed."

"Yeah, it will," said Ron fiercely. "You two won't have to do all the work alone this time. I'll help."

"Didn't you say that last time, Ronald?"

Matilda rolled her eyes at Ron while Hermione continued with her breakdown. Ron looked at Matilda confused because he thought of all people, she would have gladly accepted his help. Hermione had finally finished clinging onto Harry and so she made her way over to Ron who tensed awkwardly, thinking she may be wanting to hug on him now.

"Ron, I'm really, really sorry about Scabbers. . ." she sobbed.

"You've really got to stop with the crying, Hermione," said Matilda. "It isn't a good look on you."

After hearing that Hermione quickly began to dry her cheeks and attempt to stop the flowing tears.

"Oh—well—he was old," said Ron, nervous because Matilda had crossed her arms over her chest and was watching him with her eyebrows raised. He knew not to say anything stupid. "And he was a bit useless. You never know, Mum and Dad might get me an owl now."