𝟭𝟯. 𝗮 𝗳𝗿𝗲𝗲 𝗲𝗹𝗳

( 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬 )

xiii

xiii. a free elf

There was no way of telling the time. It was so dark. Not even their shining wands could cast entirely through the dark underground tunnels. It was cold too. There was no light down there with them that could provide any kind of heat. Matilda wrapped her arms around herself, standing, leaning on the stone wall across from Ron, watching him.

He was silent. He hadn't said a word for a while now. He just stared at the blockade of boulders beside them, waiting, hoping to hear a triumphant Harry. It was as if he'd cut himself off from the rest of the world. Utterly oblivious to Lockhart's singing, it wasn't a song Matilda ever heard, there's a chance it was no song at all. Just a string of words set to a melody that he couldn't keep. It had become incredibly irksome to have to listen to, and Matilda debated using a charm that she knew would quiet him.

She wondered if Harry could be dead by now. Would something have happened if he did die? Would the skies open up and the grounds tremble? The boy who lived... dead. Would the world move on without him?

"I don't think he's dead," said Matilda shaking her head. "I think if Harry had been killed we'd have known by now. I think so."

Ron looked at, "It's not just Harry behind there."

Realization dawned on her. Ron was worried about Harry and Ginny. Ginny, the youngest Weasley. The skies certainly wouldn't open for her death. She was merely a girl. The world could continue to turn without her. But maybe not Ron. Not Ron, or his family. Their world might very well crumble without her.

"I'm sure Harry will get to her," she said.

Though, she didn't specify whether she'd be gone or not by the time he did – if he did.

"Thanks," said Ron, his voice grim.

Matilda sighed, looking around the dark cave, surely there were people above them looking, worrying. She wondered if her parents had been called yet.

"My mum and dad are going to have a fit about this," she shook her head.

"Yeah, parents don't really like the idea of a giant snake going around the school, petrifying students," he said.

But Matilda shook her head, "No, not that," she told him. "This," and she motioned around them, the underground tunnel they stood in, and Lockhart. "They usually tell me to refrain from trying for world domination... in their eyes, this will only be me trying to accomplish just that."