𝟬𝟳. 𝗱𝘂𝗲𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗰𝗹𝘂𝗯

( 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬 )

vii

vii. the dueling club

Her dormitory had been bathed in the winter sunlight. Matilda sat up, woken from her sleep by the light dancing across her face, and rubbed her face as she slowly sat up from her bed. Her tired eyes adjusted slowly to the morning light rushing across the old wooden floors and up the tapestry and poster-covered walls.

Her body chilled as she threw her large duvet covers aside and stood. She stretched, letting out a small yawn. Matilda, in looking around her room found that she had been the last to wake. All of her roommates had already gone to breakfast. She had not a clue how she'd slept through them getting ready, or the chatter between Padma and Cho, which usually turned to them arguing.

Quickly, Matilda gathered her things to get ready for the day. With a towel draped across her arm and her toiletry bag hanging from her wrist, she started for the rounded door that swung open just as she reached a hand out for the golden doorknob.

Matilda stepped back, eyes wide.

Her eyes were wide as she watched Luna step without a care into the room, smiling at Matilda as she skipped past her to her bed.

Suddenly, Luna appeared in the doorway, "Oh!" she exclaimed, smiling, as she noticed Matilda. "Good morning, Tilly."

"Morning."

Matilda watched as Luna stepped around her, going to her bed where a blank canvas lay along with scattered paints, she looked back over her shoulder, "Should you like me to save you a seat in the Great Hall, for breakfast."

Her stomach grumbled as if understanding Luna's words.

But Matilda shook her head, "No need," she told the bright, grinning girl. "I'll find my way down soon enough."

She said goodbye to Luna, promising to see her later, before rushing into the girls' bathrooms.

Matilda pushed her way through the girls clustered around the sinks. Not apologizing even once as she shouldered past her housemates. Hating the crowded room, Matilda hurried to wash her face and brush her teeth, cleaning her mess off the counters before once again shouldering past her housemates to get back into the corridor where the chatter and giggling became muffled.