𝟬𝟬. 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝗼𝗿𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗰𝗲𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗼𝗻𝘆

𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐲 𝐩𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐨𝐩𝐡𝐞𝐫'𝐬 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐧𝐞

the sorting ceremony

In a straight line, with the other witches and wizards, Matilda Rose Winters followed behind a tall, thin, and quite an old-looking woman – Professor McGonagall. They followed her through dark and narrow corridors. Flames lit the passage and feet pattered on the stone floor. She stopped suddenly before a pair of large, double doors. Suddenly they flew open. She hadn't even touched them. Matilda smiled the butterflies in her stomach fluttered.

They stood at the back of the Great Hall. Every head turned to them. Lining the rows of the table were robed students. Some smiled welcomingly others sneered in the new arrivals' direction. At the head of the Great Hall were some of the most famous and most powerful witches and wizards alive.

The large hall was lit by thousands and thousands of candles that were floating in midair over four long tables, where the rest of the students were sitting. These tables were laid with glittering golden plates and goblets. The ceiling looked as if it was not there. Above them was the night sky, a blanket of shining stars cast over the dark. An enchantment, Matilda already knew. But Professor McGonagall led them past the tables and allowed no time for other students to gawk at the enchanted sky or floating lanterns, instead, she brought them to the front of the room until they halted before the long table at which the other teachers were sitting. The hundreds of faces staring at them looked like pale lanterns in the flickering candlelight. Dotted here and there among the students, the ghosts shone misty silver. Matilda's eyes roamed the magnificent room. She'd dreamed of this moment her entire life – for eleven years.

Matilda watched intently not intending to miss a moment. Professor McGonagall silently placed a four-legged stool in front of the first years. On top of the stool, she put a pointed wizard's hat. This hat was patched and frayed and extremely dirty. Hesitant, Matilda reached a hand to lightly touch the top of her head, already knowing what was about to happen.

She had a bit of an advantage. Matilda Winters had heard all the stories of Hogwarts already. All her family had gone to this school. For as far back as they could trace. This is where her mum and dad met and fell in love. This is where her older sister, Harper Winters, learned that she was one of the best Quidditch players the Hufflepuff house had ever seen. And Matilda, but she'd never admit that to her older sister.

This is why, along with a few other new students, Matilda was unsurprised when the patchy, old hat began to sing.

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge on what you see,

I'll eat myself if you can find