Strike

On the silver screen, the actor appeared stoic beneath his classic fedora hat. The curling smoke from his half-burnt cigarette was the only movement in the scene. The woman, with thick mascara and a red dress, looked up at him from her all-night diner booth, her lips as red as her dress. Her brunette curls cascaded down to her low-cut neckline, and her gaze could have been lethal enough to kill the guy on the checkerboard tile. He remained grim, his eyes fixed and unyielding as he tossed the photographs onto the mahogany table.

"This is why I love film noir," Jungkook whispered, taking a sip of his drink. You stayed silent, absorbed in the movie that Jungkook seemed to have been talking about for ages. It was undeniably good; you would give him that. "It's gritty, dark, and the characters play dirty. There's no chance of a 'happily ever after' in this film—it's perfect."

You observed the lady on the screen, her eyes dramatically narrowing as she took in the black and white images. Her pause spoke volumes. She was furious, but you wanted to see her maintain an air of coolness, staying in control like a true lady. This girl wouldn't go down easily; the movie was just getting started.

As she reached her hand across the table to examine the photographs, you reached for your popcorn. The auditorium was enveloped in an eerie silence, broken only by the sound of snacks being consumed. The only source of light was the movie itself—an old black and white film, part of Jungkook's beloved film noir genre. Despite being a non-smoker and pacifist, he had an uncanny ability to immerse himself in cynical characters and plots that promised "no light at the end of the tunnel." You were certain he aspired to be like the tough, bad dames, perhaps without the chain smoking.

"I'm a hopeless romantic," you whispered back to him, your eyes still fixed on the big screen. "And I'm guessing these two won't end up together."

"Maybe they will, maybe they won't," he replied. "That's what makes it interesting, enigmatic. It's not cliché or predictable."

"Why do I have a feeling that one of the main characters will die in the end?" You mused softly. "My bet is on the woman killing the man."

"Or perhaps the man will end up killing the woman," Jungkook remarked, a sly grin playing on his lips. "I suppose we'll just have to wait and see."

"I suppose so."

• • •

"I'm genuinely surprised," you remarked, leaning your head back against the passenger seat and tilting it slightly to look at Jungkook. His focus remained fixed on the busy road ahead, his hands firmly gripping the steering wheel. "I had fully expected one of the characters to meet a tragic end. But none of them did."

"I'm even more surprised than you are," Jungkook replied, his eyes never leaving the road. "These movies usually don't end that way. I certainly didn't anticipate them eloping."

"Exactly!" You exclaimed, still processing the movie's unexpected ending. "I mean, the guy discovers that this girl is a ruthless serial killer who could end his life at any moment, and yet he falls in love with her."

Jungkook grinned at your words, his gaze fixed on the road ahead. Oh, the irony.

"Although, I find it absolutely brilliant," Jungkook stated, capturing your full attention. "Doesn't it remind you of us? Well, with the roles reversed, of course. And considering you called yourself a hopeless romantic, I'm surprised you're not more thrilled about the ending."

"I just didn't see it coming," you replied, sighing softly as the beautiful scenery whizzed past the window. "Honestly, I'm surprised that you're happy with the ending. You often embrace the idea of 'no happy endings,' so I expected you to be disappointed."